Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

barnesbus

I need to get a .pdf of the tax Forms and worksheets contained within old .tax files. My old TurboTax CD's will not run on Windows 10. Suggestions?

I have a .TAX file from 1996 and need to get a .pdf of the forms and worksheets contained therein. I have the TurboTax CD for 1996, but it won't run on Windows 10. Help!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I need to get a .pdf of the tax Forms and worksheets contained within old .tax files. My old TurboTax CD's will not run on Windows 10. Suggestions?

Even if you could install old programs you can't update them or download any state programs you need.  They only support the last 3 years.  If you have old .tax files you can try converting them to pdf files at  Www.Taxprinter.Com 

It might be expensive.  They are not connected with Turbo Tax.  Use it at your own risk.  Their Website says…….

We read most federal and state files (Windows and Macintosh) from years 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Known exceptions are TurboTax 1997, 1999 and TaxCut 2005 files which we can't read for technical reasons. TurboTax 1998 and 2002 files may show only the tax summary and the Form 1040.

If you just need a paper copy of your old tax return, you can obtain that from the IRS. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/heres-how-people-can-request-a-copy-of-their-previous-tax-return

Request a copy of a tax return from the IRS

Prior year tax returns are available from the IRS for a fee. Taxpayers can request a copy of a tax return by completing and mailing Form 4506 to the IRS address listed on the form. There's a $43 fee for each copy and these are available for the current tax year and up to seven years prior.

But if you just need the tax return information, you can get a copy of your transcript online from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Here are the three ways to get transcripts:

• Online. People can use Get Transcript Online to view, print or download a copy of all transcript types. They must verify their identity using the Secure Access process. Taxpayers who are unable to register or prefer not to use Get Transcript Online may use Get Transcript by Mail to order a tax return or account transcript type. Taxpayers should allow five to 10 calendar days for delivery.

• By phone. Taxpayers can call [phone number removed] to request a transcript by phone. Transcripts requested by phone will be mailed to the taxpayer.

• By mail. Taxpayers can complete and send either Form 4506-T or Form 4506-T-EZ to the IRS to get one by mail. They use Form 4506-T to request other tax records: tax account transcript, record of account, wage and income and verification of non-filing. These forms are available on the Forms, Instructions and Publications page on IRS.gov.

@guywong While you provided great information on how to obtain a copy of a tax return from the IRS, please note in your information that the IRS only saves returns for seven years.   After that, copies are not available.  The original poster in this thread wants a copy from 1996, which the IRS will not have.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies