Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm not receiving a verification code to file my return with the free version of TurboTax. I've waited 15 minutes, is it not actually free?

I'm just wondering if I'm required to upgrade before I can actually file my taxes, or if the email not going through is something on their end. I'm receiving other emails just fine.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

I'm not receiving a verification code to file my return with the free version of TurboTax. I've waited 15 minutes, is it not actually free?

I recommend doing a account recovery, by following the instructions in this link: Account Recovery

Please also see the directions below:

1. Log out of your Turbotax account

2. Go to TurboTax Sign in / Account Recovery and request a password reset

3. Once you receive your email to reset your password, complete it and then you will be asked to add a verification code (which you should get either text or phone call depending on what your account settings are for 2 step-authentication at Intuit Account

4. This should log you in and pass the verification step and get you through to finish filing.

You may also find additional information in the link below or if you need further assistance, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Care:

I guess I didn't word it correctly, I was on the screen to finally file my taxes, I can get into my account. But it won't send me a verification code to finish filing the taxes, and it doesn't give me the option to send a text like it does with account recovery. But I am in the account, I just want to file my taxes, and it won't send me email codes and it doesn't allow me to choose a text instead. 

Make sure to leave the window open that asks you for the code. If you close this window and go back after you receive the code, the code will no longer be valid. If you need your browser to get your e-mail, open a new separate window, don't close. Also, make sure you are using the most recent code and not using a prior one. Every time that you ask for a code it cancels out all the previous ones that were sent and only takes the most recent. Please wait a few minutes after each code request to receive your email. It is not generated instantly. 

You can also request your code via text message. To receive your codes through text please complete the following: 

1.  Sign into your account
  2. Select My Account
  3. Select Account Settings
  4. Select the blue Security tab on the left
  5. Select Two Step Verification
  6. Select Turn On
  7. Enter your Phone Number and Password
  8.  Sign out of TurboTax, close your browser and sign back in. You should receive a verification code shortly after signing back into your account. 

If you are still unable to get the code to work through text, choose I forgot my user ID or password and then choose I don't know my email address or user ID. You’ll be asked to provide some information about yourself, and then you’ll be asked a few questions verify your identity. If that method fails, you’ll get a phone number to contact customer support.

So I how do I turn off the email option entirely? It won't email me ANY codes, I've waited 15 minutes on the same screen, and overnight, and still nothing. So is it possible to just have it ask me for a text verification? Because if it needs a two-step verification now, it won't even let me get past the first one, the email, because for some reason the emails are not going through. I don't know how resetting my username/password helps.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried checking your junk and spam folders? Also, assistance with getting the verification code on your mobile has been provided by clicking here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies