Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m 18 years old and i accidentally claimed exempt on my taxes for my new job. Can that be fixed or will i have to pay regardless? this never happened to me at other jobs

i have technically been getting taxed, but on box 2 i have $8.43. i live on my own and work full time now but i never noticed i was “exempt” because i was getting taxed either way. i’ve had 3 jobs before this and this has never happened. can this be fixed or will i have to pay the IRS regardless? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I’m 18 years old and i accidentally claimed exempt on my taxes for my new job. Can that be fixed or will i have to pay regardless? this never happened to me at other jobs

If you owe federal income taxes on you federal tax return those taxes have to be paid.
Complete a new W-4 with your employer, if not already done, to adjust your allowances.

Since they didn't withhold taxes and pay it in for you throughout the year, if you end up owing on the tax return, you'll have to pay that by April 15th 2019.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

You could pay early, I suppose, but there isn't any other "fix."

If you end up owing too much you may get a bill from the IRS for a penalty based on when they get your tax due payment.

"Exempt" only stops withholding.  It does not change the amount of tax you owe.  Your tax is calculated on your tax return, and if you had less withholding than your tax bill, you owe the difference in the form of a check or electronic payment due by April 15.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies