turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gkboatman

I live in 2 states and using TurboTaxCD - summer spent in A and winter spent B. Questions only *moving* from one to another. How do split residences - no real move "date"

I live in two states and am using Turbo Tax (CD version). 

The "summers" are spent in Mass and the "winters" are spent in California.

The tax questions are only geared to **moving** from one state to another. We did not really move. We have two homes and w2s from two states. How do I tell TurboTax that I want to split residences and there is no "date" that I moved. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in 2 states and using TurboTaxCD - summer spent in A and winter spent B. Questions only *moving* from one to another. How do split residences - no real move "date"

MA treats you as a resident if you spent more than 183 days there. The residency rules for CA are more complex, but if you spend more than nine months a year there, you are presumatively a resident.  

If you spend less than 183 days a year in MA, you are required to file a part-year resident return.  It is probably simpler in either case to file one resident return (CA if you spend more than 183 days there, MA otherwise) and one non-resident return.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but may give you guidance on how to answer the CA questions about dates entering and leaving the state.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

MA treats you as a resident if you spent more than 183 days there. The residency rules for CA are more complex, but if you spend more than nine months a year there, you are presumatively a resident.  

If you spend less than 183 days a year in MA, you are required to file a part-year resident return.  It is probably simpler in either case to file one resident return (CA if you spend more than 183 days there, MA otherwise) and one non-resident return.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but may give you guidance on how to answer the CA questions about dates entering and leaving the state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies