Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I listed that I did not receive my 2nd stimulus check on my taxes but it came in the mail how do I correct this or will it be fixed automatically?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I listed that I did not receive my 2nd stimulus check on my taxes but it came in the mail how do I correct this or will it be fixed automatically?

MY RETURN IS IN PENDING—what does that mean?

Did you e-file?  Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”  If so, your return is now in “pending” on a server.  Do not try to change anything while your return is in pending. If your return is rejected you will be able to make corrections before re-filing.

The IRS will not be accepting/rejecting 2020 returns until Friday, February 12, 2021.  You need to watch your emails for the acceptance/rejection notice that may take until mid-February or later to arrive.   And watch your spam folder too.

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

A state return cannot be accepted until the federal return has been accepted.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-tax-filing-season-begins-feb-12-irs-outlines-steps-to-speed-refund...

We do not know if entering the wrong stimulus amount will delay your refund --- or for how long if it does.   The IRS has not offered any guidance yet on how they will handle returns that have incorrect stimulus amounts entered.  We all just have to wait and see.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

If you have already filed your return you will need to wait and see if your return gets accepted or rejected. Please be aware that the IRS currently won't start processing returns until February 12, 2021.

• If your return will be rejected by the IRS, then all you have to do is make the changes on your return and refile.
  • If your return gets accepted you will have to wait and see if you receive your refund that includes the additional credit. If yes then you will need to amend your return and send the funds back to the IRS. Please see  FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

But the IRS has not addressed the details yet. They will not open until February 12 and you would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, the IRS may establish a guideline. Please see this IRS Recovery Rebate Credit for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IRS might  delay returns with Line 30 to see how many people cash checks arriving in January or even February.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is accepted by the IRS, you will want to follow any directions that the IRS gives us.

I would expect the IRS to scrutinize stimulus payments that were issued against the tax returns that claim the Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC).  This is what the IRS calls the stimulus payments that are issued through the 2020 Federal tax return. This may result in processing delays.  Watch the TurboTax COVID Tax Center and IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center for information on this topic.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will have the opportunity to correct the entries and calculations to generate the Rebate Recovery Credit as well as correct the entries that generated the rejection.

If you have not received your second stimulus check, you will receive your payment in the form of a Rebate Recovery Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return. 

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps:  

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tmackrola

what ?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Please clarify what you want to know.

Did you receive your third stimulus late, too?  Did you claim your stimulus on your 2021 return, but not include part? 

Please provide any information that might be helpful so that we might assist you.

@tmackrola

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies