Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jcstavert
Returning Member

I inherited a home via a trust and lived in it for 2 years, & sold it. I have K-1 income but want to take sec 121 exemption. How to make this adjustment on my return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I inherited a home via a trust and lived in it for 2 years, & sold it. I have K-1 income but want to take sec 121 exemption. How to make this adjustment on my return?

"How to make this adjustment on my return?"

You should consult with a tax professional to determine if the type of trust in question qualifies as a grantor trust.

The only instance where a taxpayer can claim the Section 121 exclusion, when the house is in a trust, is when the trust is a grantor trust (see Treas. Reg. §1.121-1(c)(3)).

jcstavert
Returning Member

It was a revocable living trust until my parents passed away, so it was a Grantor trust, but does that change after death?

It does change; the trust became irrevocable (nongrantor) after they passed. I suggested consulting with a professional because there may be options here if you are the only beneficiary and have lived in the house for 2 out of the last 5 years.
jcstavert
Returning Member

There is one other beneficiary, my sister, but she did not live in the house.

That makes a difference. However, you may not have as much tax liability as you might think.

Your basis in the house is the fair market value as of the date of death of your parents (it doesn't matter that the property was in a grantor trust). So, you may have little or no gain.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies