`

I have Turbo Tax Home and Business with one free state. I use this for family members. How many Federal and how many state returns can be completed?

I only need Federal, and the state of PA - need to know how many of each I can complete with the product I purchased.

You can do unlimited federal and state returns.  You can efile 5 Federal for free.  The rest you have to print and mail .

For state.  You get 1 free state program download which can prepare unlimited state returns (all for the same state).  But each state return is currently 24.99 to efile.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

Be sure to save each return with a name you can tell apart from the others.  Save Frequently!  Go to File-Save or Save As.  To start a new return go to File-New Tax Return.

5 free federal e-filings, and 5 free state filings (ONLY if you print out your state return and mail it off). If ANY user wants to e-file a state return, it is $24.99 (regardless of if you're the first user).

The claims on the packaging are definitely confusing, even misleading. For the longest time, I and others thought you got one free state filing. Really it is one free state DOWNLOAD. Meaning if you download software for California state, your remaining 4 users also can download California state software for free. If you have to file in another state, then it's $44.99 for each additional state. Your one free state software download can be done on different devices, including tablets. Hope that helps! I made sure with a TurboTax customer service representative. 

TurboTax can definitely be more clear about their services. All these commercials saying they're free free free hooks people at first. I felt duped wasting my time only to be told at the end I'd need to pay $60 for TurboTax Deluxe plus another $50 for state. I ended up deciding to buy Home and Business and split it with four other people. Much much cheaper.