Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have sole custody of my cousin, he has been living with me the entire year, and I pay the living expenses but I am not getting any child credit?

He is under the age of 18, he is a citizen, I have put his s.s. # in, he does not work.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have sole custody of my cousin, he has been living with me the entire year, and I pay the living expenses but I am not getting any child credit?

Go to this IRS website for information on who qualifies for the child tax credit - https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/child-tax-credit

• Be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of one of these (for example, a grandchild, niece or nephew)

A cousin is usually considered  ANOTHER PERSON which doesn't qualify for the CTC or EIC  UNLESS  they are your stepchild by marriage  or fosterchild (placed by the courts) or you legally adopt them.

1.jpg

Thank you both. I read that its suppose to be certain family but I figured I was putting something in wrong. You would figure a child is a child and he's family.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies