R5busa10

I had to break my lease early. Can I declare the associated terminal fees as a loss?

Hello folks,

Last year, I rented an apartment that I used specifically for lodging as a student.  As I live in NJ but studied in NY, I was a non-resident in NY and this apartment was not my domicile.  Long story short, I had to terminate my lease half way through.  Because this apartment was rented for education and because it's not my domicile, I was wondering if I could file the lease-termination expenses ($3500) as an investment loss.  Is this possible?  Note that I found a somewhat similar question here.  However, I assumed that the person asking the question declared his rented apartment as his domicile.  I have not done this.

Thank you

Sorry, your fee to break your lease is not deductible.  Moving costs are not deductible except for certain active duty members of the military.

R5busa10

Thank you