turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error message: "Schedule C: Other Expenses Text-6 is invalid for E-Filing. Remove all preceding spaces...." But the pink-highlighted line in the form is blank. Help?

"Check E-file Status" won't allow me to file.  The error message is: "Schedule C: Other Expenses Text-6 is invalid for E-Filing. Remove all preceding spaces or invalid characters." But the pink-highlighted line in the form is blank--so there are no spaces or characters to remove! How can I fix this error?

Screen shot attached!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Error message: "Schedule C: Other Expenses Text-6 is invalid for E-Filing. Remove all preceding spaces...." But the pink-highlighted line in the form is blank. Help?

I had the same problem. The Schedule C is corrupted. First use the forms menu to open the form and print what you have. Then delete the form. Then open a new schedule C and start filling in the entries. If you look at the list of forms you will see that any 1099s that had been linked to the Schedule C are marked as having errors. You need to open each one in turn and link each 1099 to the schedule C by typing in the Schedule C name. When completed all the entries should match the copy that you printed. I found it easier just using the forms menu directly than going back to the step by step method.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem and there is no solution that I can find.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I can tubotax tech support since the software appears to be defective.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes you can contact the call center by clicking on this link: contact TurboTax support

We cannot see your tax return in this forum. The program is designed to link Forms 1099-MISC to your Schedule C when also reporting expenses. 

Click here for more details: How do I report income from self-employment?

Where do I enter a 1099-MISC and scroll down to the drop-down menu for What if my 1099-MISC was from self-employment work, a rental property, royalties, or farm income or rental?

It is a best practice to have the income earned online deposited in a separate bank from your personal bank. If not, I highly recommend QuickBooks Self-Employed to keep track of your income and expenses throughout the year. It is free for TurboTax Self-Employed customers for one year. 

You may also be interested to know about a few other deductions:

Qualified Business Income Deduction

Home Office Deduction

Tax Guide for the Self-Employed

@Anonymous

jonesler

I've been using Turbotax for 30 years but unless I hear some uplifting news from the Quicken that they have fixed the NUMERABLE infuriating bugs this will be my last year.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Thank you for trusting TurboTax for 30 years. We appreciate your feedback and are sorry you are experiencing unexpected results.

Direct-import can be done on Windows devices. Otherwise, for Mac computers and as an alternative for Windows systems, the Quicken details can be imported by following these steps:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. From the TurboTax File menu in the upper-left corner, select Import followed by From Accounting Software (Windows) or From TXF Files (Mac).
  3. Follow the instructions.

For more information, see: How do I update or delete something I imported into TurboTax?

@jonesler

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies