If you worked as a freelancer or contractor last year, you probably got a 1099-NEC instead of a 1099-MISC. Go here to learn how to enter that form.
To enter a 1099-MISC for miscellaneous income in TurboTax:
- Open or continue your return, if you're not already in it.
- Search for 1099-misc and select the Jump-to link.
- Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-MISC?
- If you already entered a 1099-MISC, you'll be on the 1099-MISC Summary screen, in which case select Add Another 1099-MISC.
- If you need to edit or delete a previously-entered 1099-MISC, select the appropriate button.
- Enter the info from your form into the corresponding boxes.
- If you need to enter boxes 4–6 or 8–17, check My form has other info in boxes 1–17 to expand the form.
I got my 1099-MISC for a rental property, royalties, or farm income or rental
If your 1099-MISC was for any of the following, you'll enter it in another section of TurboTax. If your 1099-MISC was for:
- Rental Properties and Royalties (Schedule E):
- Search for rental income and expenses (use this exact phrase) and select the Jump to link.
- Farm Income and Farm Rental:
- Search for farm income and select the Jump to link.
- Why is there an amount in Box 1 (Nonemployee Comp) on my 1099-NEC?
- Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and supplies?
- Does a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC mean I'm self-employed?
- Where do I enter a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC in the mobile app?
- How do I edit or delete a 1099-MISC?