turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pburrellw

I had additional federal tax withheld it shows up on my check stub ,but not on my W-2 .How do I get credit for the additional amount paid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

I had additional federal tax withheld it shows up on my check stub ,but not on my W-2 .How do I get credit for the additional amount paid?

Are you saying that your employed withheld more than what is reported on your W-2 in box 2?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The answer proved by Xmasbaby0 may be incorrect. I have this issue as well. The additional amount is not reflected in box 2 of my W-2. For example, last year I had $20 additionally for federal taxes taken out of each of my 26 pay checks or $520 total. Box 2 of my W2 did not include the $520.

You need to check with your employer if you think your W-2 is incorrect.  As previously stated, there is not a special place on your W-2 to show "extra" money you had withheld.  It would just be included with the amount in box 2. If you think the employer did not include it there then sort it out with the employer.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

That "extra" amount you had withheld is in box 2 of your W-2.  It is just included with the other amount your employer withheld.  There is not a special box on your W-2 for "extra" money you had them keep out.  Just enter your W-2 exactly as it appears.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I did this as well for this coming tax session. Does that mean we will not get the additional tax from each paycheck back ? (New to taxes)

@rmarthens96   The software will calculate the amount of your tax liability  (how much money you are responsible to pay to the IRS)  based upon how much your income was, your filing status (single, married, etc.) whether you have any dependents, etc.  Some (or maybe all) of what you owe will have already been paid because the employer withheld money from your paycheck and sent it to the IRS during the year.   The amount the employer withheld is in box 2 of your W-2.  If there was not enough withheld from your pay over the year, you could owe more and have to pay at tax filing time.  If too much was withheld, then you get a tax refund of the difference between your tax liability and the amount withheld.  The amount the  employer held out will be in box 2 of your W-2.  Keep track of your pay stubs and add up the amount withheld for federal tax.  It should add up to the amount reported in box 2 of your W-2 when your employer gives you that W-2 in January.
Another poster in this thread seemed to expect that that "extra" amount he was having withheld should show up somewhere else on his W-2, and expected a bigger refund because of it.  He was having a hard time understanding that all of it is reported in box 2.
dewe5169

I usually have extra withholding from my paycheck so that I will be able to get extra money when my taxes are done. How can I tell if my additional holdings are added to the federal or state withholdings/

That is correct, your "additional" federal tax and "additional" state tax amounts are automatically added to the amounts in boxes 2 and 17. One way you can confirm this is by looking at your first paycheck stub of the year and comparing the figures in the year-to-date column and current pay-period column. The  combination of federal tax withheld and "additional" federal tax withheld for the current pay period, on your first check of the year, should equal the total of federal tax showing in the year-to-date column. The same for the state taxes and "additional" state taxes. The other way to check it is to manually add the taxes withheld on every pay stub for the year and compare with the amounts reported on your w-2.

Andrearj

Your answer makes no sense whatsoever if the employer is combining the additional taxes plus the taxes that need to be paid from your check. It's going to match your W-2 at the end of the year. How do we know without having to add everything up that the IRS or employer is not taking the extra money?

I'm sorry I'm not asking you because I don't want a canned response that makes no sense. So anybody else I'd love you to answer everybody's question. It's the same?

How do we know without having to add everything up that the IRS or employer is not taking the extra money. The only way is to do your own adding. note even then that amounts may not match because the employer may need to make adjustments.  

@Andrearj   Who are you replying to?   You will get credit for all the federal withholding from W2 box 2 on your tax return.   Yes you should look at your final paystub or add up all the withholding to double check the amount in W2 box 2.   If it doesn't seem right ask your employer or personnel dept.   

Sorry, Extra income tax withholding will only be added in  box 2 (box 17 for state).  Box 12 is for other things like contributions to a 401K plan, health insurance  see What are the Codes for W2 box 12?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/taxation/letter-codes-box-12-w-2-mean/L6...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies