pburrellw

I had additional federal tax withheld it shows up on my check stub ,but not on my W-2 .How do I get credit for the additional amount paid?

macuser_22

Are you saying that your employed withheld more than what is reported on your W-2 in box 2?
dillonmiele

The answer proved by Xmasbaby0 may be incorrect. I have this issue as well. The additional amount is not reflected in box 2 of my W-2. For example, last year I had $20 additionally for federal taxes taken out of each of my 26 pay checks or $520 total. Box 2 of my W2 did not include the $520.

You need to check with your employer if you think your W-2 is incorrect.  As previously stated, there is not a special place on your W-2 to show "extra" money you had withheld.  It would just be included with the amount in box 2. If you think the employer did not include it there then sort it out with the employer.

That "extra" amount you had withheld is in box 2 of your W-2.  It is just included with the other amount your employer withheld.  There is not a special box on your W-2 for "extra" money you had them keep out.  Just enter your W-2 exactly as it appears.

rmarthens96

I did this as well for this coming tax session. Does that mean we will not get the additional tax from each paycheck back ? (New to taxes)

@rmarthens96   The software will calculate the amount of your tax liability  (how much money you are responsible to pay to the IRS)  based upon how much your income was, your filing status (single, married, etc.) whether you have any dependents, etc.  Some (or maybe all) of what you owe will have already been paid because the employer withheld money from your paycheck and sent it to the IRS during the year.   The amount the employer withheld is in box 2 of your W-2.  If there was not enough withheld from your pay over the year, you could owe more and have to pay at tax filing time.  If too much was withheld, then you get a tax refund of the difference between your tax liability and the amount withheld.  The amount the  employer held out will be in box 2 of your W-2.  Keep track of your pay stubs and add up the amount withheld for federal tax.  It should add up to the amount reported in box 2 of your W-2 when your employer gives you that W-2 in January.
Another poster in this thread seemed to expect that that "extra" amount he was having withheld should show up somewhere else on his W-2, and expected a bigger refund because of it.  He was having a hard time understanding that all of it is reported in box 2.
dewe5169

I usually have extra withholding from my paycheck so that I will be able to get extra money when my taxes are done. How can I tell if my additional holdings are added to the federal or state withholdings/

COSBO

That is correct, your "additional" federal tax and "additional" state tax amounts are automatically added to the amounts in boxes 2 and 17. One way you can confirm this is by looking at your first paycheck stub of the year and comparing the figures in the year-to-date column and current pay-period column. The  combination of federal tax withheld and "additional" federal tax withheld for the current pay period, on your first check of the year, should equal the total of federal tax showing in the year-to-date column. The same for the state taxes and "additional" state taxes. The other way to check it is to manually add the taxes withheld on every pay stub for the year and compare with the amounts reported on your w-2.