turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does it matter how I input the name for CHASE for 1099-INT?

The statement is from CHASE (upper left hand corner of 1099-INT form), but the name displayed under the federal ID number is "JPMORGAN CHASE BANK, N.A."

Does it even matter how I input the name, or is it only the amount that the IRS will match with what they receive from Chase?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

even if over the limits it may not matter.  

I've filed my returns for more than 25 years and never have gotten an inquiry from the IRS because I entered Chase rather than JPMorgan Chase Bank NA or Schwab rather than Charles Schwab   or MB Bank rather than MB Financial Bank.   

When I was doing return professionally, I had clients with multiple accounts from the same source each with separate reporting forms..  so 12 reports from JPMorgan Chase each got enter as Chase. Clients never once said to me or forwarded to me an inquiry from the IRS.     

during that time I also seen numerous returns use the broker's name say XYZ company when its actually the clearing firm  Pershing that files the 1099's with the IRS - again never once an inquiry (Pershing not XYZ would be the name if you were to pull the IRS transcript)  

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Would it be too hard to type what the document says?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No, I just want to know which so it matches exactly what the IRS will be looking for
Carl
Level 15

I think the field is limited to 14 characters. If so, enter the name exactly as printed, and when the field will take no more characters, stop typing in that field.

Then make it match the document.  You took longer to type the question here than it will take to type in the name of the issuer of the document.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks Carl, but it says simply "CHASE" in the upper right, but in another spot it features the fuller name...

xmasbaby, it is not a matter of trying to save time. My concern is matching what the IRS will be looking for

They probably care a whole lot more about the Federal ID.
Carl
Level 15

On the 1099-INT you're not asked for box-by-box information for anything other than the interest and TIN really. It doesn't matter if you enter "MY CHEAP BANK" in the institution name box. (Care to guess what I think of chase? :))

I even type like
Wells Fargo-Husband
Wells Fargo-Wife
Wells Fargo-Joint

I still maintain that if you stay consistent with what the document says, you will have an easier time making sense of it if a time comes when you have questions about it and have to look back through your paperwork. It will be easier for you to find it if you need to.
Anonymous
Not applicable

even if over the limits it may not matter.  

I've filed my returns for more than 25 years and never have gotten an inquiry from the IRS because I entered Chase rather than JPMorgan Chase Bank NA or Schwab rather than Charles Schwab   or MB Bank rather than MB Financial Bank.   

When I was doing return professionally, I had clients with multiple accounts from the same source each with separate reporting forms..  so 12 reports from JPMorgan Chase each got enter as Chase. Clients never once said to me or forwarded to me an inquiry from the IRS.     

during that time I also seen numerous returns use the broker's name say XYZ company when its actually the clearing firm  Pershing that files the 1099's with the IRS - again never once an inquiry (Pershing not XYZ would be the name if you were to pull the IRS transcript)  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If Schedule B is not included in your tax return, it doesn't matter what you enter because the IRS will not see the name. The usual reason that Schedule B would be included is that either your total interest is over $1,500 or your total dividends are over $1,500. If your return does include Schedule B, enter the full name of the payer. That is what the IRS will be looking for.

Thank you rjs. The total interest is under 1500, so sounds like I am okay. Thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies