turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yuvirai

I didn't work last year 2020 and also moved to Canada. Do I have to file tax? If yes then how can I do that?

I have no income in 2020. But my husband said I can file Simple tax return on Turbotax in $0 fee. How can I do that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

I didn't work last year 2020 and also moved to Canada. Do I have to file tax? If yes then how can I do that?

With no income you are not required to file a US tax return.  However, if you did not receive all the stimulus payments that you are eligible for, you must file a 2020 tax return to claim a Recovery Rebate Credit.  You can start a free file with TurboTax here

The stimulus amounts are as follows:

Round one:  $1200 (2400 if filed jointly) plus $500 for each qualifying dependent age 16 or younger

Round two:  $600 (1200 if filed jointly) plus $600 for each qualifying dependent age 16 or younger

Here is a link with more information on the Recovery Rebate Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yuvirai

Hi @DMarkM1 , 

Thank you so much for the response! 🙏🏼
When clicked the link it takes me to my usual TurboTax home page and I didn’t see $0 file. There are two options as usual Deluxe or Live Deluxe. So if I select Deluxe, it will become $0 at the end? 

Also, should I use American address or how can I update the address to Canadian address if I have to update it? Also do I still get stimulus amount if I’m in Canada? (I didn’t work in Canada as well) 

Thank you so much once again!

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1. No, try using the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax if you qualify. 

2. You can use the address where you are currently living. For U.S. taxpayers living and working abroad, in the My Info section, there will be a place to edit your mailing address. Change the mailing address in the dropdown box to a foreign address.

3. It depends on your circumstances whether you are eligible for the stimulus payments. The only way to receive them now is to file the 2020 tax return and claim the Recovery Rebate Credit. Regarding claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit, check the IRS site for who is Eligible to receive stimulus payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies