There was a message on turbotax that said file by 2/28 and save $30. Does that mean if I file after that day it's not free?

No, that means that after 2/28 our prices will go up.

On March 1st, TurboTax Online prices will increase as follows:

• Deluxe and Premier will increase by $20
  • Self-Employed and TurboTax Live will increase by $30
  • State filing with Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed and TurboTax Live will increase by $3

If you are not ready to file your return yet, but would like to take advantage of the early-season pricing, you can pay for your TurboTax Online Federal and State products before the price increase takes effect on Thursday, March 1st at 12:00 AM PST. To do that:

• Log in to their TurboTax account
  • Click Take me to my return
  • In the left-hand navigation bar, click on File
  • Next to Step 1, click on Start
  • Review the details of your order
  • Scroll to the bottom and click on View Payment Options
  • You must pay via Credit Card to lock in this pricing for your Fed and State products.

Any additional states or products you add at a later point will be subject to the current price at that time.

• Log in to their TurboTax account
  • Click Take me to my return
  • Next to Step 1, click on Start
  • Review the details of your order

Looks like you can pay for your state return ahead of time too. After you pay for federal, just click the "State" option in the left-hand navbar to begin the process of creating a State return. Then follow the steps above and the opportunity to pay for State will present itself.

I didn’t see this notice when I was completing my return earlier. I guess this will be the first year in a decade I don’t use Turbo Tax.