turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not submit my 1095A form on my tax return 2019. I already submitted it. Is it required by the IRS to have completed the 1095 A form? Turbo tax did not ask any questions about my health coverage

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies
TomK100
Expert Alumni

I did not submit my 1095A form on my tax return 2019. I already submitted it. Is it required by the IRS to have completed the 1095 A form? Turbo tax did not ask any questions about my health coverage

Yes, you need to enter the information from your 1095-A form as it is required by the IRS.  However, since you have already filed  your return, it will most likely be rejected by the IRS.

If you purchased health insurance through Healthcare.gov or your state's health insurance marketplace, you should receive your 1095-A by mid-February.

Your 1095-A should include info for everybody on your return who was enrolled in a Marketplace plan, and is required to calculate the Premium Tax Credit.

Here's how to enter your 1095-A in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. In the upper right, search for 1095-A.
  3. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  4. Answer Yes on the Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan? screen and Continue.
  5. Complete your 1095-A info on the next screen and select Continue.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed with TurboTax free edition on a tablet and they did not ask me about healthcare. There was no options or place that I could click on to enter the information. I have used TurboTax for four years and never had this problem.

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

If you received a Form 1095-A, you will need to report this information on your tax return. You may be required to upgrade to the Deluxe version of TurboTax to complete your Form 1095-A. If you are required to complete Form 8962 for the Premium Tax Credit, this form is not supported in the Free Edition of TurboTax. Please see this TurboTax article for more information on Form 1095-A.

TurboTax will prompt you if you need to upgrade to a different version. Please follow these steps to enter your Form 1095-A:

1. Log into TurboTax and click on any topic to continue
  2. Click on Federal from the menu on the left-hand side of the screen
  3. Click on "Deductions & Credits" at the top, scroll down to "Medical" and click on "Show More"
  4. Click on "Start" or "Revisit" to the right of "Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)"
  5. Click on "Yes" and then "Continue"
  6. Enter the information from your 1095-A

IF you have already filed your tax return, you will need to wait until it is either accepted or rejected by the IRS.

If your return is accepted, you will need to file an amended return to include Form 1095-A information in your tax return. Here are the steps to amend your return:

1. Log into TurboTax and click on "Tax Home"
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show)
  3. Select 2019 and then Amend (change) return
  4. Select Amend using TurboTax Online

If your return is rejected, you can add form 1095-A to your return by following the steps above.

@Tiffany 48

cmbair131

I had the same problem and i have used Turbo Tax for 8 years! My co Worker also had the same problem. Both of our returns have been rejected due to this error and i am extremely upset. We were not asked for this information this year and the software was different, this was a huge miss by Turbo Tax and will NOT be using it next year. 

cmbair131

I did pay for the Deluxe edition and i still was not asked for my 1095-A

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you received a Form 1095-A it has to be reported to the IRS.  The information on Form 1095-A is used to complete Form 8962.  This link The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2019 has information to assist you in filing Form 8962. 

I also realized the day after submitting my return that Turbo Tax did not ask me for my form 1095-A. Two weeks later I received a letter from the IRS asking me to submit forms 1095-A and 8962 (NOT a 1040X).

So I went back into Turbo Tax to Amend my return, and when I went into the Health Insurance section, Turbo Tax only asked me about my personal information (name, mailing address) and income, not my health insurance. The only section even remotely related to health insurance is under Self-Employed Health Insurance Paid, which stipulates,

“If you signed up for a health insurance plan through Healthcare.gov or your state Marketplace or exchange, do not enter the premium amounts you paid in this section. We'll get the details on those plan premiums in the Health Insurance section. These are included on your 1095-A, a new IRS form that you will receive from your Marketplace.”

Except we never get there! By the time I returned to the main Amendment screen, Turbo Tax had spammed twice trying to up-sell me. But I paid for Premier, and I didn’t even get what I paid for! This is completely unacceptable, and a huge miss by Intuit.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

The link I provided below should be able to help you out with this. No need to amend your return:

The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2019

I FILED 2019 WITH TURBO DELUX, THE IRS SAID IT WAS INCOMPLETE BECAUSE OF THE 1095A WASNT FILED AND ASKED IF I USED TURBO TAX BECAUSE "THIS HAPPENED TO A LOT OF PEOPLE". I WAS NEVER ASKED TO SUBMIT THE INFORMATION WHEN FILING. I CONTACTED THEM AND THEY SAID THEY "THOUGHT IT WASNT A LAW". I ASKED FOR MY MONEY BACK SINCE THEY FILED MY TAXES INCOMPLETE" THEY SAID THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO. I PAID FOR A SERVICE AND THEY DROPPED THE BALL AND WILL NOT REFUND ME. THEY WILL STEAL FROM YOU! NEVER USING THEM AGAIN. TELL YOUR FREINDS

I FILED 2019 WITH TURBO DELUX, THE IRS SAID IT WAS INCOMPLETE BECAUSE OF THE 1095A WASNT FILED AND ASKED IF I USED TURBO TAX BECAUSE "THIS HAPPENED TO A LOT OF PEOPLE". I WAS NEVER ASKED TO SUBMIT THE INFORMATION WHEN FILING. I CONTACTED THEM AND THEY SAID THEY "THOUGHT IT WASNT A LAW". I ASKED FOR MY MONEY BACK SINCE THEY FILED MY TAXES INCOMPLETE" THEY SAID THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO. I PAID FOR A SERVICE AND THEY DROPPED THE BALL AND WILL NOT REFUND ME. THEY WILL STEAL FROM YOU! NEVER USING THEM AGAIN. TELL YOUR FREINDS

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The reason why the program does not ask the question is that you are not required to have health insurance in 2019 by law.   The health insurance coverage is no longer mandatory at the federal level, as of January 1, 2019. However, some states still require you to have health insurance coverage to avoid a tax penalty.

If you have enrolled in the marketplace and received a Form 1095-A, you would still need to enter that in the program.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1095-a" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1095-a
  • Follow prompts

This could create a Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit, the difference between the advanced payments of premium tax credit (APTC) you used and the amount of premium tax credit you qualify for, which you would need to report on your taxes. 

Fwarren88
Returning Member

I went through the steps on the jump link and it’s says i now completed it but it gave me a new amount coming back does this mean that it was amended since I’m still seeing the previous approval amount

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Yes, if your return was accepted and you started the amendment process.  When you began, if the numbers at the top of the screen reset to $0 and now have an amount in them, you have amended your return.

To submit an amended return you need to print, sign, date and mail the return according to the instructions that print out with the return. 

You cannot efile an amended return.

Its been 6 weeks since I faxed my 8962 and 1095A. When will I get my refund?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies