Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mmeador

I did contract work for an international com. I was supposed to receive equity but have not. Do I claim this as earned income in 2020 or wait until I have official docs?

I did contract work for an international company in 2020 and was supposed to receive equity in the company as payment.  I have not received official documentation stating ownership in the company.  They have not filed the required documents in their local county to begin distributing shares.  I could take ownership in the shares in the future if they become compliant. Do I claim these shares as income in 2020 or wait until I receive official documentation?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I did contract work for an international com. I was supposed to receive equity but have not. Do I claim this as earned income in 2020 or wait until I have official docs?

The equity is not income to you until you have ownership. The IRS uses a doctrine called "constructive receipt":

Constructive receipt.

Income is constructively received when an amount is credited to your account or made available to you without restriction. You do not need to have possession of it. If you authorize someone to be your agent and receive income for you, you are considered to have received it when your agent receives it. Income is not constructively received if your control of its receipt is subject to substantial restrictions or limitations.

Publication 538 (01/2019), Accounting Periods and Methods

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The equity is not income to you until you have ownership. The IRS uses a doctrine called "constructive receipt":

Constructive receipt.

Income is constructively received when an amount is credited to your account or made available to you without restriction. You do not need to have possession of it. If you authorize someone to be your agent and receive income for you, you are considered to have received it when your agent receives it. Income is not constructively received if your control of its receipt is subject to substantial restrictions or limitations.

Publication 538 (01/2019), Accounting Periods and Methods

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies