turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I cannot save my return. I am told the file is locked and I do not have permission?

Why is the file I am creating  locked?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

I cannot save my return. I am told the file is locked and I do not have permission?

Are you using a Mac computer?  If so, possible solutions would be to either save the file to your desktop or rename the file and try saving again.  Refer to this comment thread for more information:  When I try to save my turbo tax form to my file on my Mac it says that my file is locked...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ptb0804

Why is this even happening in this day & age. I do not have the file locked yet it says its locked & I don't have permission to save it. I doubt I will buy Turbo Tax again because this is such a time waster.

TurboTax has a lot of bugs and other issues, even in this day and age.

I am having the same issue. It is infuriating. I duplicated the file and renamed it and it still doesn't work. I checked permissions and it says I do have read/write permission. Such a basic thing - being able to save the changes to your document. Get with it Intuit.

I figured it out. The Turbo Tax document has to be on the same drive as the software. In my case, I had the software installed on my laptop and the file was on a removable HD. When I duplicated the file to my laptop desktop I was able to save changes. This is understandable for security reasons, but there should be a simple pop-up that explains the problem and the solution.  

This is SOP for most programs ... they will not recognize things on another drive. 

I applaud you for saving the return to a separated removable storage medium (that you should not keep plugged into the main computer all the time for safekeeping ... if you get a bug the other drive will also be infected)    however do not MOVE it to the other drive ... only SAVE it there for safekeeping.  

tframe2000
Returning Member

Same problem.  I need to save the return now.  How can I do that?

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

Are you trying to save the return on the same drive for example, (C:) or  (E:removeable drive) as the drive the software is on? If not try saving it to the same drive to resolve this issue of not being able to save. 

If that doesn't resolve the issue, would you let us know the specific error message or issue you encounter when attempting to save your return to your Mac?

@tframe2000 

tframe2000
Returning Member

Nwewer problem.  Rejected tohave me determine Lorene AGI for previous year (2020).  I have opened last year files and copied the AGI reported there.  AGI shown is exactly what I reported to answer this year inquiry.  It is still being rejected.

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

You can request a transcript on the IRS Get Transcript site, to see exactly what the IRS has recorded as your AGI for 2020. You would not have to pay for this service. Keep in mind you will need to create an account with the IRS, which is also free to do!

@tframe2000

Anonymous
Not applicable

This happens to me as well. My turbo tax file is on a different drive than the software installation.

Does Turbox tax has a plan to address this? It is OK if turbo tax reports this as not supported behavior. However, it is very concerning that it is unable to correctly report the error type. A well written software should be able to report the correct error message.

"A well written software should be able to report the correct error message."

meaningful messages that allow diagnosis are the exception not the rule.

@Anonymous 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies