Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I try to save my turbo tax form to my file on my Mac it says that my file is locked. Then turbo tax as me if i want save it anyway? I click this box. Is my file saved or not and why does it say my file is locked?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

95 Replies

When I try to save my turbo tax form to my file on my Mac it says that my file is locked. Then turbo tax as me if i want save it anyway? I click this box. Is my file saved or not and why does it say my file is locked?

Select the file and use File -> Get Info (or Command I) and unlock it if locked.

Lock.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I did that and it says that I have read and write privileges.  However, when I save from Turbo Tax it still gives me the same message that my file is locked.

Was the locked box checked as in my example?  If so you must unlock it.    That can also be a problem if the file is in a Folder that is locked.  

Sometimes it can be a Mac issue and restarting clears it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The locked box was not checked.  I restarted my computer, and nothing has worked so far.  In fact I got a message saying that I didn't have privileges to access my Desktop at one point.  Eventually I have to make a duplicate of the file to proceed. All my folders have read and write privileges.   What else is there to try?

Sounds like a problem with your User account.   That is a Mac issue and not TurboTax.   Talk to Apple support..

Was there a solution to this issue? I'm having same issue on my Mac and looking for help.  thanks.

I'm sorry to say but TurboTax(TB) techs were not able to save my problem.  They gave me the obvious solutions such as unlock my file, etc.  non of which worked.  I called several time and they sent me new TB dies on line to reinstall.  That didn't work. This problem ultimately went from I couldn't save my data, which prevented me from filing my return to not even able to print my return.  They couldn't solve my problem  They said there was no incompatibility with IOS Catatlina 10.15.4.  I paid for internet consultant to look at the problem and they couldn't solve the problem.  I then notified and talked on several occasions with an Apple tech. After a long series of chats he asked me to set up a new user on the computer named "Test" with password, etc.  units all TB and go to the new user.  Reinstall TB.  I did that and I could bring up(booted) the reinstalled TB and it opened.  I was then able to print my tax files.  However the only way I could save was to save to my desktop.  I was able to file my taxes via eFile since I saved my data to the desktop.  This end award and time consuming as I spent an enormous amount of time trying to get all of this to work.  The reason for all of this is still unknown.  Next year I will be very hesitant to buy TB to do my taxes.  I must say that I have not had this problem ever with my Mac and Turbo Tax.  I have been using TB for many years.  This is so disappointing.

That proves that the problem was an unknown issue with your Mac user account and not the TurboTax software since it worked fine with a different user account.     You could probably only save to the desktop from the new user account because that account  probably did not have permissions to save elsewhere.  

No it did not work with the new user account.  I could print but I still could not save properly.  The ONLY problem that this occurs with is TurboTax.  There are NO other programs in the entire life of me using my Mac has this occurred.  Sorry, but there is a reason all of this happened, and I would expect som expert to be able to help me out.

I feel your pain, BillB, although my time investment of about 4 hours solving this issue may not have been as much as you experienced.  I contacted Apple after reading this post.  After a few questions to understand problem they asked if I had tried saving to desktop, I had not.  After saving tax file to desktop the issue went away.  I had to renter some data but not too much effort.  I was just glad to have a working path forward. 

I am also a long time Mac and TurboTax user and have never had this issue before.  As you said, a software code expert should be able to resolve this issue and improve the customer experience.  I do hope this issue gets resolved.

@BillB3 wrote:

However the only way I could save was to save to my desktop.

The "save" function is TurboTax simply calls the built in Mac save.   TurboTax itself cannot save, only the Mac OS can do that.

If you could save to your desktop then that proves that you can save the file.  If you cannot save to other locations than that is an issue with the Mac - probably permissions.   Apple "Genius Bar" techs at an Apple store should be able to trouble shoot this.

Show them that the original user cannot save at all but the new user account can save, but only to the Desktop.  They should be able to solve it.

toddCT

I got the same issue.  My workaround was to rename the file then save.  This only worked after you renamed the file.  If you try to save again, you will get the same error.  To save again I have to rename again then save.

I think this is a bug with turbo tax, but whose want to be on the phone with tech support try to explain issue happen on Mac!

I agree. This is a TurboTax bug. I have the same problem and it only happens when I try to e-file and pay by credit card. When I allow them to e-file and deduct (costing $39.99) it works perfectly fine. This year TurboTax has been a disaster for Mac Users. I have used it for the last 5 years with a Mac with no problem. Now, since they have had to modify the code with updates it has not worked well at all. 

Terrible...

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 7.11.41 PM.png

I had the same issue on my Mac.  I was able to rename the file and save it. It looks like every time I want to save I need to rename the file.  It has worked 3 times so far.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies