turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I babysat all last year and was paid cash weekly so i wont expect to recieve a w-2 can i still file tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I babysat all last year and was paid cash weekly so i wont expect to recieve a w-2 can i still file tax?

Yes, you can file your tax return as self-employed. 

Just keep in mind! You don't need any proof of your income to file your tax return, but State or IRS can send a notice of intent to audit you.

The best way to prove your cash income is your accounting records. Any time when you receive the money you can deposit cash into your bank account. Bank deposit records are an excellent source of proof. 

Manual tracking system on your computer/software averse: Pick up a ledger or accounting pad with ruled columns at an office supply store and get into the habit of recording every bit of cash that comes your way in payment for services rendered. Record the date, reason for the payment and amount.

Software Program or Smartphone Application record can prove your cash income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can file your tax return as self-employed. 

Just keep in mind! You don't need any proof of your income to file your tax return, but State or IRS can send a notice of intent to audit you.

The best way to prove your cash income is your accounting records. Any time when you receive the money you can deposit cash into your bank account. Bank deposit records are an excellent source of proof. 

Manual tracking system on your computer/software averse: Pick up a ledger or accounting pad with ruled columns at an office supply store and get into the habit of recording every bit of cash that comes your way in payment for services rendered. Record the date, reason for the payment and amount.

Software Program or Smartphone Application record can prove your cash income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies