estevek

I am using turbo tax online this year (2020 ) and I cannot import my 2019 return which was done with Turbo Tax downloaded program. How do I import my xxx.tax2019 acct

You will need to have the .tax2019 file on your computer.  If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year........

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

If you already started an online return you will have to clear it and start over to transfer.  How to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

If you used the Desktop program before you may not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for transferring 2019 tax data to a 2020 online tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

If you used the TurboTax CD/Download software last year

You can transfer last year's tax data file (with a filename extension .tax2019) if you're preparing your 2020 return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without MAX, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)

• You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2019.
  • Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring.

Note: If you already started your 2020 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year won't transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won't work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or open or continue a return you already started.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the Tax Tools drop-down menu in the left menu and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to clear and start over.)

Follow the instructions to finish transferring your file.