Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am so frustrated!!! My 2015 Deluxe Turbotax for Mac will not open. I keep getting the closed "unexpectedly" error message. I don't know what to do. Any help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies

I am so frustrated!!! My 2015 Deluxe Turbotax for Mac will not open. I keep getting the closed "unexpectedly" error message. I don't know what to do. Any help?

RikWeb28
Returning Member

All of the links for these "fixes" are broken.

Can someone PLEASE post the updated link?

2015 is no longer supported by TurboTax so they removed the "fix" script.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@RikWeb28 wrote:

All of the links for these "fixes" are broken.

Can someone PLEASE post the updated link?

I don't know is this will work - I have not tried to attach a file in this now forum before, but I saved a copy of the FixTY14AndTY15 2.command file.

Hmmm - it would not let me post a  file so I added .dodx at the end - so if you can upload the file remove the .docx.

Double clicking on the FixTY14AndTY15 2.command should automatically open a Terminal window and run the command that only removes a java script element from the 2014 & 2015 Applications/TurboTax.app files.

NOPE; It will not allow me to post the scrip.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
RikWeb28
Returning Member

Thanks for trying.

The script is just text.  If you open the file in a text editor, you should be able to cut and paste the text into a reply.

Thanks Again for trying!

delete

I don't think that will work well since the long lines were wrapped into two lines.   I don't know of it is possible to paste long lines of script without them being wrapped into two lines  by this forum and that will not run correctly.

RikWeb28
Returning Member

Thanks for the script.

The long lines only looked like they wrap.

The patch was applied successfully.

Other folks say printing is a problem, but I'm able to read the generated tt2014 file using the PC version.

my checksum came back as "19085 3" but it worked fine.

By the way, I enjoyed the typo in:

echo "Goind to patch ${JS_File_To_Be_Updated} file"

Thanks again!

Rik

(I noticed the type also) Actually I had correspondence with the author of the script when it was being developed so I know that English is not his first language.   But the script was well written.

You should be able to print from 2015.   There was an issue since 2014 & 2015 use an external "Secure print server" that was taken down, but it seems to be running now.  I just tried printing from 2015 and it works ok.

Zeus29

I have this same problem, but I am not sure I understand how you fixed it.  What do I copy and paste and where do I paste it?

If you are not familuar with the terminal and unix scripts I don't suggest that you try.  As stated posting the script into an reply box wrapped some lines.    What lines and how to proceed would be obvious to a knowledgeable person.   I was hesitant to post it but the other poster seemed to know what to do.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

When opening TurboTax for Mac after installation, you may see the TurboTax checkmark icon bounce a few times before disappearing from the menu bar. This can be accompanied by the error: TurboTax 20xx can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

Please click the TurboTax Help links, listed below, for further assistance.

TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/turbotax-for-mac-won-t-open-when-installed/00...

TurboTax for Mac installation troubleshooter

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/turbotax-for-the-mac-installation-troubleshooter/0...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@TerukoL wrote:

When opening TurboTax for Mac after installation, you may see the TurboTax checkmark icon bounce a few times before disappearing from the menu bar. This can be accompanied by the error: TurboTax 20xx can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

@TerukoL This thread is about TurboTax 2014 & 2015 Mac desktop software that cannot be opened at all after the OSX 10.13.3 update.  TurboTax Mac developers wrote a unix script to remove a java script element in the TurboTax application package to allow TurboTax 2014 & 2015 to run.

Since  TurboTax no longer supports 2014 & 2015 the link pointing to that scrip has been removed.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with opening  TurboTax on a Mac running OSX 10.15 (Catalina).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies