turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

mtran7
Expert Alumni

I am getting an error with my TC-40W payer id and I am not given the option to fix it. It will not let me file without fixing it. It is the 14 character payer id

Client had to change the WTH's on all 4 of her UT W2's to lowercase wth. Even her Military W2 that ended in WTC had to be changed to wth. This worked and she was able to file. 

I am getting an error with my TC-40W payer id and I am not given the option to fix it. It will not let me file without fixing it. It is the 14 character payer id

Why is still an issue after years? There's nothing in TurboTax that says anything about lowercase letters, it just says 14 characters with WTH (not wth). Last I checked, WTH is WTH, and wth is not WTH, so why doesn't TurboTax adjust this automatically or mention that it needs to be wth not WTH?

I had this problem and it kept indicating that the problem was with the withholding number on my wife's w2, but in fact it was a problem with the withholding number on my w2. Make sure you check that field for any and all w2's on your tax return. (mine had "UT" at the beginning and I just had to delete that)

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

If the above solutions do not work, please contact support. 

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent. 
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

@incoda

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

sorry to necropost but its 2023 and ive been googling this problem. i went through and manually changed "wth" to lowercase on all my w2's and i can confirm it allowed me to file. hopefully this is helpful to others experiencing this issue this year and in the future!

I had the same error with my Utah state taxes. I changed the letters to lower case and it resolved the issue. 

drew34

I literally went back and changed to wth lowercase and whenever I go back to the state tax form it still shows it as being upper case. I have no option to edit manually instead of automatically drawing from the previous forms (and it doesn't even draw from the updated information i put in the previous areas). TurboTax sucks.

@drew34 

Yeah, I've seen that before, where changing the upper-to-lower case just kept the upper when done.

What did work was to delete the entire number.....click in another box.....then come back to the id-number box and re-enter the whole thing.

________

Why the Heck TTX hasn't worked out a way for users to use either upper or lower case, is beyond me.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

This was still an issue for me filing my 2023 Utah return after importing a PDF of my W2 from Utah.  Changing the WTH -> wth (to lower case) in box 15 employers state ID number did the trick wonderfully!  I never would have guessed this was the problem.

To be clear it's best to change it in the original W2 data under federal income rather than trying to edit the form on the state tax checking page.

Just came here to mention that for my 2023 tax returns I had the same problem.  Changed WTH to wth on ALL my w-2s and the errors cleared. 

Every single year this happens to me and I end up having to file my state taxes by mail. Every year. This is a turbotax tech error and not a user error. It's entered exactly as it's shown and I've tried all sorts of ways to make it work and it doesn't. Please fix this for Utah Filers.

@Jacksonbarnhisel 

So, reading all of the above didn't help?

It's really easy to go back to the actual forms and edit the final letters to make them lower case.  i.e., don't try to change them in the error check screen.

When editing them in the state section of each form (where withholding was done), I usually suggest blanking out the entire number....clicking in another box, then coming/clicking back into the proper box and retyping the number and final three letters.

Yeah, would be nice if the programmers would get the software to accept either, or auto-change to lower case where needed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I've tried this a dozen times, I've even fully deleted my W-2 and retyped everything back in, same error. I'm going to try and contact their support team.

It's genuinely incredible that this is still a problem 3 years later. How did your call with support go? Did they have an answer for this year's form?

To turbotax-- If you're charging us 100+ dollars to file, could you please fix a bug after 3 YEARS? 

Update: I changed every wth to lower on all of my W-2's and it worked. Even the ones that weren't being flagged. Super cool that the error in the review section didn't match the w-2 with the error on it. 

It's genuinely incredibly lazy that we haven't had a fix in 3 years, and that the review section is also broken. This is a pretty embarrassing user experience, especially for a service that costs 3 figures. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies