Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hreyinnis

I am getting a error message stating that you could not e-file my return for the following reason a duplicate Social Security number for tax return with seem so security number has already been submit

When trying to see if file my returns I am getting an error message stating that you cannot do it because the tax return has already been submitted with the same Social Security number where do I get
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I am getting a error message stating that you could not e-file my return for the following reason a duplicate Social Security number for tax return with seem so security number has already been submit

That's a problem, seems like a ID Theft issue which was very common this year, if the same error comes over and over, consult online help with a tax professional, you may have to paper file and submit ID theft form.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Did you submit your information through one of the non-filer applications in order to get your stimulus payment?  There are non-filer options either through TurboTax or the IRS.  

If so, when using the non-filer system, your information is processed by the IRS as an original filed return. 

If not, then you may have a more serious identity theft issue to address. 

See the following TurboTax articles for some additional advice about your situation: 

Reject R0000-902-01:  Taxpayer TIN must not be the same as a previously accepted return

What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft

@hreyinnis

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It could also be if you signed up on the IRS non-filer tool to give the IRS your Direct Deposit Info for the Stimulus Check.  If you did then see

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

According to what I have read on the Web, the most common cause of this problem is some discrepancy in a birthdate, AGI or other identifying information. Do re-check this before worrying about identity theft. 

jholly

When this same thing happened to me several years ago, it was due to someone stealing our identity and filing a tax return using our information. I suggest contacting the IRS as soon as possible to see if this is the case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies