Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reject R0000-902-01: Taxpayer TIN must not be the same as a previously accepted return

Reject R0000-902-01: Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return

It means that a return with the taxpayer's or spouse's Social Security or Taxpayer Identification number has already been filed with the federal government.

This can happen if your spouse or another family member already filed your return for you. Other reasons for this rejection include:

  • Your (or your spouse's) SSN or ITIN was entered incorrectly;
  • The same SSN or ITIN was used for both filers on a joint return; or
  • Somebody filed a fraudulent return using your (or your spouse's) SSN or ITIN.


If you are sure nobody you know already filed your return for you, the next step is to review your entries in TurboTax to make sure there are no transposed or incorrect numbers:

  1.  Sign in to your account and select Fix my return.
    • Mobile app users: You'll need to sign in at TurboTax.com (not the app) so you can follow along with the instructions.
  2. Once you're on the Welcome back to TurboTax! screen, select My Info in the left-hand menu (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to expand the menu).
  3. On the Personal info summary screen, make sure the SSN or ITIN for the first person has been entered correctly.
    • If it's wrong, select Edit to fix, then Continue.
    • Repeat this step for the spouse, if any.
    • If all SSNs/ITINs were originally entered correctly, STOP. Proceed to the "What if my info is correct?" section, below.
  4. Now select File from the left-hand menu.
  5. Continue following the onscreen instructions (but don't select "Fix my return" if you see it, as you've already done that) and proceed with the re-filing process.

What if my info is correct?

It's likely that somebody filed a fraudulent return using your information. Please contact us right away for further assistance.

In addition, you won't be able to e-file because your or your spouse's SSN or ITIN has already been accepted. Instead, you'll need to paper-file your return.

Helpful resources

Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in