Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I import info from our Morgan Stanley Smith Barney investment accounts? It's not prompting me as in the past?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NancyG

How do I import info from our Morgan Stanley Smith Barney investment accounts? It's not prompting me as in the past?

You can securely import your  1099-B 1099-DIV 1099-INT 1099-OID , or  1099-R  into TurboTax, provided your broker or financial institution participates in our  TurboTax Partner program .

When you get to the place in TurboTax where we ask if you received that form, answer Yes and we'll give you the option to import.

You can also jump straight to that section by searching for the 1099 form number in TurboTax and then clicking the Jump to link in the search results.

Tip: When selecting your financial institution or brokerage from the list, be sure to select the right one. For example, several participating partners' names start with First National Bank and if you select the "wrong" First National Bank, you won't be able to import.

Related Information:

View solution in original post

15 Replies
NancyG

You can securely import your  1099-B 1099-DIV 1099-INT 1099-OID , or  1099-R  into TurboTax, provided your broker or financial institution participates in our  TurboTax Partner program .

When you get to the place in TurboTax where we ask if you received that form, answer Yes and we'll give you the option to import.

You can also jump straight to that section by searching for the 1099 form number in TurboTax and then clicking the Jump to link in the search results.

Tip: When selecting your financial institution or brokerage from the list, be sure to select the right one. For example, several participating partners' names start with First National Bank and if you select the "wrong" First National Bank, you won't be able to import.

Related Information:

rob363

There is still no prompt for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney 1099 for 2017; You help line keeps transferring me to other people in the middle of a sentence.  No one will help!
  Where is the drop down prompt under 1099 DIV?  There is a 'On Demand Tax Guidance' that states [but nothing in drop down]:
Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (former MorganStanley)
You can import these types of documents from Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (former MorganStanley):

- Form 1099-B
- Form 1099-DIV
- Form 1099-INT
- Form 1099-MISC
- Form 1099-OID
- Form 1099-R

To import, you will need the following credentials:

- Morgan Stanley Smith Barney ClientServ Password
- Social Security Number
- Morgan Stanley Smith Barney ClientServ Username

I have always used Turbo Tax to prepare my returns, but the changes are making preparation too complicated.  I am considering changing from Turbo Tax next year.

I am entering my information correctly to import but TT keeps telling me account can't be found.  I have signed on while trying to do this so I know my account exists and information is accurate.  How can I get help?

It is very possible that the 2017 information has been taken down by the broker this late in the year.  You can try calling them during business hours to ask. If it has been made unavailable for import you will have to enter it manually.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jce1
Level 1

This option still does not show up in 2019 TT Deluxe.  Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (client serv) is not an option. Anyone know how to fix this?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

In order to be able to import your information, Morgan Stanley Smith Barney needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner.  The following Morgan Stanley titles do show up as part of the import function.  You will need to review your title on your investment forms to see if they match any of the following names.

Morgan Stanley

I have attached a link to those who have partnered with TurboTax and provide the option to import your information, as well as a link to reasons why you may not be able to import this information.

TurboTax Import Partners

Unable to import 1099

If your company is not listed, then you will not be able to utilize the import feature.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

how do I import 2019 tax data from Morgan Stanley to my Turbo Tax?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

They have not chosen to join our import this year. You can manually enter transactions in 4 groups for the 1099-B. You can do one total for each of the 4 categories:

• short term covered
  • short term non-covered
  • long term covered
  • long term non-covered

If that’s the case, they should be removed from the dropdown menu and their logo should be removed from the partners graphic. This is super misleading and I spent way too long trying to debug this.

Seriously...It needs to be removed from the dropdown. Otherwise the error misleads you to think you entered the username/password wrong

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Thank you for your feedback.

JV1984

i'll assume no action was taken based on this feedback.  

please consider a thumbs down icon for your posts as well

Is this still true for the 2022 returns.  the import does not work for me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies