Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I am a nanny what can i deduct on my taxes

I worked as a nanny and made about 6,800 last year.  Currently I need to pay in about 1,400.00.  Is there anything that I can deduct?
1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

I am a nanny what can i deduct on my taxes

Were you paid as a W-2 employee? You would need to look at the circumstances to know for sure how you should have been paid.

 Household Employee

You (the employer) have a household employee if you hired someone to do household work and that worker is your employee. The worker is your employee if you can control not only what work is done, but how it is done. If the worker is your employee, it doesn't matter whether the work is full time or part time or that you hired the worker through an agency or from a list provided by an agency or association. It also doesn't matter whether you pay the worker on an hourly, daily, or weekly basis, or by the job.


You pay Betty Shore to babysit your child and do light housework 4 days a week in your home. Betty follows your specific instructions about household and child care duties. You provide the household equipment and supplies that Betty needs to do her work. Betty is your household employee.

Workers who aren't your employees.    If only the worker can control how the work is done, the worker isn't your employee but is self-employed. A self-employed worker usually provides his or her own tools and offers services to the general public in an independent business.

  A worker who performs child care services for you in his or her home generally isn't your employee.

  If an agency provides the worker and controls what work is done and how it is done, the worker isn't your employee.

Depending on which category you fall into, you may be able to take expenses against your income. If you received a 1099-Misc, then you would enter your income as self-employment on Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business and take expenses.

You can deduct your expenses you incurred to produce this income. If you were required to buy and wear a uniform, you may deduct. Go back over your records and see what might apply. If you bought any books, games, gifts or snacks for the children, you can deduct them. Keep in mind that if you were reimbursed, you can't take the expense. Here is a link with other possibilities and situations.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies