trumanj1989

I accidentally claimed too many allowances on w-4. will claiming 5 allowances on my W-4 cause the IRS to audit me when I filed with only 1 dependent?

Your W-4 is just for your employer so they withhold as much or as little from your paycheck as you request.  Your W-4 does not dictate how many exemption you can claim on your actual tax return.  On your tax return, you claim the number of dependents (if any) that you really have.

trumanj1989

Thank you, this is what i thought but i wanted to be sure since this involves the IRS.  🙂