Solved: Husband filed MFS claimed our child, got standard ...

Husband filed MFS claimed our child, got standard deduction. Does he mean he didn’t itemized his return? I am stuck on that question on my return also filing MFS.

No, claiming dependents is not itemizing.  Totally different things.  Everyone gets to deduct either the Standard Deduction or all their Itemized Deductions whichever is more.  So you can both take the Standard Deduction.

For 2019 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 12,200 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind (13,850)

HOH 18,350 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 24,400+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,200 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

If he used the Standard Deduction on his tax return then you cannot itemize deductions on your tax return.

Right.  He did not itemize.  

And may I ask why you are filing separate returns?  Do you live together?  Sometimes people don't realize the differences between filing  Joint and MFS.

Unless you have a specific reason to file separate returns,

It is usually better to file Joint. Joint has the lowest tax rates and the highest Standard Deduction.   And if you are in a Community Property state MFS gets tricky to figure out.  Here's some things to consider about filing separately……

In the first place you each have to file a separate return, so that's two returns.  And if you are using the Online version that means using 2 accounts and paying the fees twice.  

Many people think they come out better when filing Married Filing Separate but they are probably doing it wrong.  If one person itemizes deductions then the other one must itemize too, even if it's less than the standard deduction, even if it is ZERO!  

And there are several credits you can't take when filing separately, like the

EITC Earned Income Tax Credit

Child Care Credit

Educational Deductions and Credits

And contributions to IRA and ROTH IRA are limited when you file MFS.

Also if you file Married Filing Separately up to 85`% of your Social Security becomes taxable right away even with zero other income.

See …….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-...

Thank you! I’m not itemizing.  I just don’t know how to answer the one question I’m stuck on.  It’s asking if he itemized.  I am confused bc he claimed our child so is that considered itemizing?  He said when he did his return it said he was getting the standard deduction.

did you live apart from your spouse for the last 6 months of 2019? if so, are you the custodial parent of a child?

He said when he did his return it said he was getting the standard deduction.

So if that's what 'HE SAID", and it's true, then you also must take the standard deduction.

Take note that both of you will need the other's SSN when filing MFS. The IRS requires that so that they can confirm that you both either itemized, or you both took the standard deduction.

You will both automatically disqualify for the child care credit, EITC and quite a number of other deductions and credits you would have both probably been able to claim if you had filed a joint return. Just be aware.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Thanks!!