Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to eliminate references to K-3 info

I went through TurboTax and entered data from my K-1 which had box 16 checked (indicating I had a K-3 ... which I do).  However, the business related to my K-1 is wholly US-based with no income or other relationship to Foreign sources.  But, when I did my "Smart Check" TT flagged an error saying that I didn't provide info about Foreign sources ... which there are none.

While searching for help from others, I found that, due to recent changes in the tax reporting requirements, and a deficiency in TT, for my situation, I can ignore the K-3 that was sent.  HOWEVER, for some reason, I can't get TT to forget about the fact that I said I had a K-3 initially and continues to flag the error.  Worst of all, TT won't let me file electronically with this "error".

There are 2 places where TT asks about K-3's: The first is when it asks which lines have data on your K-1 and the second is when it later specifically asks if you have a K-3.  I can change the 2nd instance from a "Yes" to a "No" (at least temporarily), but cannot change the page where TT asks if the box on line 16 of my K-1 is checked (indicating I should have a K-3).

So, I'm assuming that the problem is that I can't uncheck the box I checked, initially, indicating that the box in line 16 of my K-1 is checked.  But, like I said, TT won't let me uncheck it.

Is there a solution?  My only option at this point seems to be to file via paper and the P.O. which, it seems, TT will allow.

Thanks for your help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

with no foreign reporting uncheck box 16

It is easiest to use forms, run an error check and it will highlight the box 16 and you can click on the check mark to remove it. Run check again and the error will be gone. Had to do it yesterday.

Few companies understand what the K-3 is used for, IMO. Plus they aren't giving out data until mid-summer.

Thanks for the suggestion but TurboTax won't let me uncheck box 16.  Before I found out that not reporting anything on your K-3 was an option if you had no foreign income/deductions to report, I did, originally, check box 16 on the step-by-step.  On subsequent passes, I answered "No" to the question about having a K-3 but was still unable to uncheck box 16.  On the forms it shows that box 16 is not checked  BUT the worksheet has info in it and TT is complaining, still thinks there is an error, and won't let me file electronically.

Confusing, but thanks for the attempted help.

Thanks but not working for me.  Box 16 is unchecked on the forms but there are still related worksheets and TT is still complaining about the perceived errors on the worksheet (... which shows all zero's).

did you go into "list of forms' and delete K-3 and then all related worksheets.?

delete K-3 first if you want to reenter it.

@Tygah 

Fey42,  Thanks but unchecking box 16 on the forms doesn't get rid of the error for me.  Also, I don't think that I can just get rid of the form that the "error" is on since there is other, needed info on that form.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Try deleting the Schedule K-3 worksheet. Here's what to do:

1. Tap Tax Tools in the left column
  2. Tap Tools
  3. Select  Delete a Form in Tools Center
  4. Scroll down to Sch K-1 Wks-Partnerships(your name) -- K-3 Worksheet (Partnerships) and delete
  5. Click Continue With My Return in the lower right when you are finished
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies