Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How much does turbo tax cost to file by paper opposed to filing by E-file

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

There is no difference in the fees for e-filing or filing by mail when you use online TurboTax.  The fees are for using the software to prepare your returns; e-filing is not an extra fee. So, if you are using online, you will not save money by mailing your return instead of e-filing.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Using the TurboTax online editions it is the same charge.  There are no e-file fees using the online editions, federal or state.  The account fees are for the use of the software to assist in completing a tax return.  The account fees are the same whether a tax return is e-filed or printed for mailing.

I am being charged 64$ to file by postal mail. This is above the 115$ I paid for desktop software.

@torquestpro wrote:

I am being charged 64$ to file by postal mail. This is above the 115$ I paid for desktop software.

What tax year are you filing?  What charges are you seeing that equals $64?

If you paid for and are using the TurboTax desktop editions, there is no charge to print and mail a tax return.  Prior year tax returns can only be printed and mailed, they cannot be e-filed using TurboTax.

@torquestpro wrote:

Did you purchase some of the optional add-ons, like Audit Defense and Identify Theft protection? These are optional services and not covered by the original purchase price.   Could you have paid for the desktop program and are being asked to pay again for Turbotax online?  The desktop and online programs are separate and paying for one doesn't give you transferrable credit for the other (you have to call customer support to work it out in that case.)

If you paid for the desktop software to install on your own Mac or PC, there should be no further charges if you want to print and file a return.  There is an additional $20-$25 charge to e-file most state tax returns, but state e-filing should be closed at this point and you would not be charged for state e-filing if you indicated you wanted to file by mail.  

No, I purchased no add-ons. It would not let me because Audit defense is closed for 2022.

Also online is closed for 2022. So there is no confusion between online vs desktop.

Also I paid for the desktop premier and was expecting to pay 25$ but the screen shows 64$ as State filing cost.

Not sure what the issue is. Even customer support could not help and I had to leave for a meeting so will have to call them again.

@torquestpro wrote:

No, I purchased no add-ons. It would not let me because Audit defense is closed for 2022.

Also online is closed for 2022. So there is no confusion between online vs desktop.

Also I paid for the desktop premier and was expecting to pay 25$ but the screen shows 64$ as State filing cost.

Not sure what the issue is. Even customer support could not help and I had to leave for a meeting so will have to call them again.

Since no one on this forum can access your account or see your return, we would also have to direct you to customer support.  They should be able to do a screen share so they can see your screen and maybe explain what happened.  They are short-staffed during the summer, until they ramp back up at the end of December.  

One other possibility, is that if you purchased Premier but for some reason agreed to an in-program upgrade to the Home & Business version, that difference in cost would also have to be paid at time of filing.  You might be able to get around it by uninstalling the program, re-installing premier, re-installing your state and all recent program updates, and then re-opening your tax data file.  

Well it would have been the $25 to efile a state return.  And then the 39.99 or 40 to have the fee deducted from your federal refund?   Or is it actually asking for your credit card?   But efiling is closed.  So I would  just ignore that message.   Go back though the FILE tab and see what choices you picked.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies