turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I closed my business in May. I didn't buy or sell anything from Jan-May. So i have 0's for all my stuff... Will this throw up a red flag?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

I closed my business in May. I didn't buy or sell anything from Jan-May. So i have 0's for all my stuff... Will this throw up a red flag?

You should edit the Business profile section and indicate that you disposed of the business in 2016. This will remove unnecessary forms for your return. To navigate back to the section:

• In your open return, select My Account
  • Tools
  • Topic Search
  • Type business (schedule c) in the box, then select GO

Select Edit, next to your business you no longer have on the page, Here's the business info we have so far. Then select update next to your Business Profile. Scroll the list on the page, Let's confirm your business info and edit to dispose of the business.

See attachments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You should edit the Business profile section and indicate that you disposed of the business in 2016. This will remove unnecessary forms for your return. To navigate back to the section:

• In your open return, select My Account
  • Tools
  • Topic Search
  • Type business (schedule c) in the box, then select GO

Select Edit, next to your business you no longer have on the page, Here's the business info we have so far. Then select update next to your Business Profile. Scroll the list on the page, Let's confirm your business info and edit to dispose of the business.

See attachments.

Okay. I had already did that. I was just filling in the numbers part and wanted to may sure since I had 0's, everything would be okay because I gave majority of the goods that were left away.
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If you had any inventory, equipment, vehicles or anything with depreciation you should dispose of them also in their expense categories.

How do you dispose of them? The only thing would be the inventory... (I know I sound dumb, but I just want to make sure this is correct)
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Go through the Inventory section and list your ending inventory as zero. Beg. inventory was your ending 2015 inventory.

Great that is what i did. Thank you so much!!!!!
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

You are welcome 🙂
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies