Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I talk to an actual person if I am in the middle of my return but cannot find the return in my Turbotax account?

The system will not let me talk to a person without accessing my return in my account. I cannot find my return in my account. It is a Catch-22. Is there not just a number to call?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I talk to an actual person if I am in the middle of my return but cannot find the return in my Turbotax account?

It's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online.

Thank you, but this did not work. I went into every possible ID using all of the passwords, and none have my return, so I still cannot talk to anyone. The account I have that they bill me from and say on that is not an email address. When I call the 800 number, the automated system asks for my email account (which is not my account ID). I give them the email that they mail me all of the information to, but the system says they don't have an account to go with that and won't let me talk to a person. It is going to take a person to straighten this out, so this is extremely frustrating. I got a notice that my federal e-filing failed and I can't fix it because when I sign into my account the return is not there (and hence I cannot access phone help). I have just used the online download approach to get the app for the last several years.

Can you log into your account but not see your return?  Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

From Tax Home (the first screen you see after you sign in), scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. You may have to select Show to open the drop down.

Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this is just the workaround).

OR wait.......do you download the app and install it on your computer?  That is not the Online version.  Then your return is only on that computer and not online.  Then when you fill out the contact form,  You need to pick the CD/Download program in the product drop down box.

Or what do you want to ask support?  We can probably help you here in the Forum.  We have seen every possible question you can ask.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies