Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mbmonty

How do I start an online return and import last year's tax file information?

I used the CD version last year and have the tax2019 file.  I can't seem to begin a 2020 return that will let me import the information.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can transfer last year's tax data file (with a filename extension .tax2019) if you're preparing your 2020 return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without MAX, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)

• You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2019.
  • Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring.

Note: If you already started your 2020 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year won't transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won't work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or open or continue a return you already started.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the Tax Tools drop-down menu in the left menu and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to clear and start over.)

Follow the instructions to finish transferring your file.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

You can transfer last year's tax data file (with a filename extension .tax2019) if you're preparing your 2020 return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without MAX, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)

• You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2019.
  • Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring.

Note: If you already started your 2020 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year won't transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won't work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or open or continue a return you already started.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the Tax Tools drop-down menu in the left menu and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to clear and start over.)

Follow the instructions to finish transferring your file.

How do I install Turbotax online?  I thought the point of having the online version is that you didn't have to have anything installed on your computer.  It's not clear how to do this.

@jlushetsky wrote:

How do I install Turbotax online?  I thought the point of having the online version is that you didn't have to have anything installed on your computer.  It's not clear how to do this.

You do not install the TurboTax online editions on your computer.  You only have to start using one of the TurboTax online editions after you create a User ID.

Go to this TurboTax website for the 2020 online editions, click on one of the editions and then either create a User ID or sign onto your account with an already created User ID - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

You are right.  You don't install the online version.   Did you accidentally buy the Desktop CD or Download program?

Start an Online return here,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

OK.  I understand now and was able to navigate to Tools but then I get a message that says "Once you register your tax return, or pay any TurboTax fees, we can no longer clear and start over."  It won't me clear and start again or upload the 2019 data.

If it doesn't let you clear and you haven't paid or filed you could just start a new account. Online is only good for 1 return per account. But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts. How to start another return in the Online version.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Where is your 2019 return to transfer?  Is it in an Online Account or on your computer?   Hmmmm,  starting a new account won't let you transfer if 2019 is in a different online account.  You might have to do 2020 without transferring from 2019.  Unless you can download the .tax2019 file to your computer, then you might be able to transfer it into a new online account.  

I have the 2019 file on my computer.  That isn't the problem.  The issue is that I can't restart the 2020 filing or even access the upload function for 2019.  The message says that I've registered but I don't remember doing that and I haven't paid any fees.

OK that's good.  Then just start another new Online account to transfer into.  You have the .tax2019 file on your computer?  How to start another return in the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

You can transfer from the prior year on your computer into the Online version. You will need to have the .tax2019 file on your computer. If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year........
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies