Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I set up auto save? I just lost all my information. Is there a setting whereby my input is automatically saved after every couple of minutes?

@pennysauter wrote:

I can't get my turbo tax to save with my name. And I can't get it to rename or save to a different place. I'm afraid to close down for fear of losing everything I've put in. What do I do??? This has never happened before.

Are you using a Windows PC or a Mac?

How do I set up auto save? I just lost all my information. Is there a setting whereby my input is automatically saved after every couple of minutes?

It used to autosave.  I lost my return when my computer locked up!  Again, I just lost 2 hours worth of work after another lock up.  We can't use online because it is not offered.  Last time I use Turbotax after 25 years.  You suck!

Online for 2020 opens in Early December.  Sounds like you were starting a 2020 return using desktop---correct?  When you use desktop you need to save it yourself as you go.  Online TT autosaves but desktop must be saved by the user.

Maybe the larger issue is you need to find out why your computer is locking up on you and get it fixed.  Does your computer meet the system requirements for 2020 desktop software?

2020 Desktop TurboTax

Minimum requirements for your computer

Below are the minimum requirements for TurboTax Federal 2020 software. Product activation required via Internet. Download option requires free online Intuit account.

Windows® CD/Download Products

Operating Systems

• Windows 8 or later (Windows 7 not supported)

RAM

• 2 GB or more recommended

Hard Disk Space

• 1 GB for TurboTax (plus up to 4.5 GB for Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 if not already installed)

Monitor

• 1024x768 or higher recommended

Third Party Software

• Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 (included with TurboTax Installer)

Internet Connection

• 1 Mbps modem (Broadband connection highly recommended). Required for product activation, software updates and optional online features

Printer

• Any Windows-compatible inkjet or laser printer

Administrative rights required

Mac CD/Download Products

Operating Systems

• macOS Mojave 10.14 or later

RAM

• 2 GB or more recommended

Hard Disk Space

• 1 GB for TurboTax

Monitor

• 1024x768 or higher recommended

Internet Connection

• 1 Mbps modem (Broadband connection highly recommended). Required for product activation, software updates and optional online features

Printer

• Any Macintosh-compatible inkjet or laser printer
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@circeo35   Windows or Mac?

If you used the Windows Desktop program you need the file ending in .taxyyyy to open in it.  The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.  If you can't find them do a search for all files ending in .tax or .tax2020 or .tax2019, etc.  And check the Recycle Bin.  For Windows 10 check the One Drive.  Did you make any backups?  Like DropBox.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  "~your name.tax2019".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Find your Tax file in Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

swtinc
Returning Member

this is not right! I am using the Turbotax business 2021 even though I save it from the file menu but it does not save my progress data?! just frustrated and do not know what to do?!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please visit the Contact Us page and select your product to get you to the right person.

@swtinc

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
swtinc
Returning Member

after the last update TurboTax business 2021 does not save any of my progressed data as the result I lost hours of works. just frustrating!!

after 45 minutes Intuit agent called me back and ask to send him my data to him. it's more than four hours and NO response!!

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, we don't have the means to contact the agent who received your data in this forum, but please call back into customer service with your case number to request an update.  We thank you for your patience, as we are taking a high volume of calls.  

PWT7925

I have used TurboTax for years with a CD.  I spent two hours entering data recently and went back to complete my return.  The information was not there.  When did Turbotax stop saving information entered? This has never happened.  

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. Sometimes you need to constantly save the information entered because if you leave it sit and come back, it's not there.

The best way to do this is to periodically to to file>save in your program. The very first time you do this, you have to hit file>save as to give the file a name to save to your computer and then after that, hit file>save periodically so that your information is saved and not lost in cyberspace. 

ALL of my other software autosaves. I was near the end of my tax return on a work managed computer and a restart was forced, hours of work lost. It never occurred to me that I needed to save: I'll say it again: ALL OF MY OTHER SOFTWARE AUTOSAVES.

It's frustrating that there is not a good option to purchase software designed with users' needs in mind.

Are you on Windows?  Maybe you can find a temp file of it.  

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  "~your name.tax2020".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Thanks! I'm using a Mac and there are no temp files in the directory where tax returns are saved.

Is autosave disabled on your Mac?

System Preferences -> General -> [ ] Ask to keep changes when closing documents .   If checked disables autosave.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
bdnett
Returning Member

Is this still true for TurboTax 2020?  TurboTax just crashed on my Mac and I lost a bunch of stuff.  I admit that I hadn't saved anything for some time but didn't realize it wouldn't autosave as that's such a common feature anymore.  Why wouldn't it autosave?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies