turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcgorrym

How do I report inheritance income for the state of PA?

Where do I report inheritance income for the state of Pennsylvania?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

PA follows the Federal rules for inheritances, as far as whether the inheritance is taxable on your return or not.  For example, if you inherited stock and then sold it, that's already entered in the Federal return and transfers to PA.  You may be thinking of inheritance tax but that has nothing to do with PA taxable income on your tax return.

If what you inherited is cash, that may be subject to inheritance tax in PA but not income tax. You only need to enter this amount in the interview for the Special Tax Forgiveness credit where it asks for nontaxable income.  See the screen shot below for where to enter it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

PA follows the Federal rules for inheritances, as far as whether the inheritance is taxable on your return or not.  For example, if you inherited stock and then sold it, that's already entered in the Federal return and transfers to PA.  You may be thinking of inheritance tax but that has nothing to do with PA taxable income on your tax return.

If what you inherited is cash, that may be subject to inheritance tax in PA but not income tax. You only need to enter this amount in the interview for the Special Tax Forgiveness credit where it asks for nontaxable income.  See the screen shot below for where to enter it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies