Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

How do I obtain an IP Pin for my minor/dependent?

Yes, your dependent will need to speak with the IRS agent and pass the identity verification process to obtain the IP PIN.    If he cannot verify his identity online or by phone, he can request an in-person meeting at your local Taxpayer Assistance Center.  He will need to bring one current form of government-issued picture identification and another identification document to prove his identity.  Once his identity has been verified, it can take up to 3 weeks to receive the PTIN.  

For more information on the IP PIN process, see the link below:

IP PIN

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I need a IP pin for my 2 dependents please 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You only enter the IP PIN for your dependents if the IRS has issued IP PINS for your dependents.    Most people and dependents do not have IP PINS.   If your dependents do not have IP PINS, don't enter anything in those fields.   

If the IRS has already issued them for your dependents and you have lost them, you can have them mailed to you.   You won't be able to retrieve pins for dependents using the online tool, you will need to request that they be mailed.   How to retrieve IRS-issued IP PINS

Only enter an IP PIN for the people who have been issued one by the IRS.  @winniemiller470 

i need a ip pin number for my son

@60 BlancharD wrote:

i need a ip pin number for my son

Go to this IRS website to request an IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

Even for a minor, I think you can get it online via www.irs.gov/ippin.  

VC2707

If your dependent is a minor (less than 18 years old) you cannot get the IP Pin online. Call [phone number removed] and you will directed to the IP pin department and they will mail you the IP Pin.. 

verinioi

How can I obtain my minor child's iPin IRS said they have send it in mail since December 25, 2022 I have called multiple times they said it was re issue and I have not received it what can I be able to do please someone help!?

@verinioi wrote:

How can I obtain my minor child's iPin IRS said they have send it in mail since December 25, 2022 I have called multiple times they said it was re issue and I have not received it what can I be able to do please someone help!?

How to retrieve an issued IP PIN from the IRS - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

They took your divorce decree im on the same issue right now i have to file through mail and send prove did this take long to get refund or how did it go i had even thought of changing their socials 

How do you get a pin for a minor child

@mlfrazier35 wrote:

How do you get a pin for a minor child

Go to this IRS website for the procedure to get an IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

Mariakali
Returning Member

So if my child is on my taxes then there's no need for her to have a pin right?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No, that is not correct.  If your child has an IP PIN, you will need to include it on your tax return.   If your child has been a victim of ID theft then they would need the IP PIN.  You would enter their PIN by selecting Federal>>Other Tax Situations>>Identity Protection PIN then walk through the steps to enter their PIN.

If your child has not been a victim of ID theft, and does not have an IP PIN, then no, you would not need to get one to enter on your return. 

My husband and I have had his two children age 16 & 14 living with us full time for the past two years. Last year we did not claim either of the children trying to help the biological mother out a bit. The biological mother probably sees these children maybe 5x a year, she has not provided a penny towards any type of care for these children, I am not able to get assistance for them because she receives it even though they live and have lived with us for two years (yes I’ve tried to fit this with no success) so this year we told the biological mother that I am claiming the children as they have lived with us full time and she has provided no type of support or assistance. The biological mother told me she has a court order from 2013 saying she has “full custody” there for she is claiming them! After researching IRS guidelines the person who the children has lived with is the one who should claim them, so I did. The biological mother is a terrible person who uses these children as a paycheck, she is a compulsive liar filled with empty threats usually. I filed my return already and it was accepted, not yet approved- the biological mother now tells us she put a “pin” on the children’s social security numbers. I don’t know how true this is but, what can I do if she did put a pin and my taxes are not approved? It’s not fair that she rep the financial benefits for children I have literally struggled taking care of. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies