Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

How do I obtain an IP Pin for my minor/dependent?

You cannot apply for an IP PIN (Identity Protection Personal Identification Number) for a dependent online. There are two ways to obtain an IP PIN for a minor dependent, but neither method is as quick as the online process.

Form 15227 is used to apply for an IP PIN for an individual including a dependent. 

1. This form can be mailed to the address on the form or
  2. The Taxpayer Assistance Locator can be used to make an appointment to bring the form to a nearby IRS office.

@Tiacampbell31

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Latrice41

I how do I get ip pin minor/dependent 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

First you can try the number listed below for faster assistance.  They will decide if your dependent needs an IP PIN, but be prepared that only you need one.

• Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days)

The IRS has a dedicated site for IP PIN retrieval. You can also try contacting the  Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) for assistance. 

How to retrieve your IP PIN online

You may use our Get an IP PIN online tool to retrieve your current IP PIN. If you don’t already have an account on IRS.gov, you will be asked to register for an account and validate your identity.

If you previously created an online account and obtained an IP PIN, access Get an IP PIN and log in to your account. You may be required to verify your identity again due to our increased account security.

How to get your IP PIN reissued

If you're unable to retrieve your IP PIN online, you may call us at 800-908-4490 for specialized assistance, Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time), to have your IP PIN reissued. An assistor will verify your identity and mail your IP PIN to your address of record within 21 days.

Exception:

• It’s after October 14 and you haven’t filed your current or prior year Forms 1040 or 1040 PR/SS.

If you fall under the exception and if you cannot access the get your IP PIN online tool, your best alternative at this time is to file your tax return by paper without your IP PIN. 

You’ll need to complete and mail a paper tax return without your IP PIN. We’ll review your return to confirm it’s yours, but this may delay any refund you’re due.

Note: The Form 15227 application process is only for taxpayers who are newly opting into the program and do not already have an IP PIN requirement.

Get a IP Pin for my son

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The instructions from @DianeW777 in the very last post are very good.  Follow those and you'll be fine.

@BrendaShrop 

Did you ever get an answer? I know I can call irs to find out but I want to know with calling an waiting for ever just to get a response so if u know please me me know thx. Eric...

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

The fastest way to receive an IP PIN is by using the online Get an IP PIN tool. If you wish to get an IP PIN and you don’t already have an account on IRS.gov, you must register to validate your identity. The IP PIN tool is generally available starting in mid-January through mid-November. Select the button to get started

Get an IP PIN 

Click here for more information regarding IP PINs.

I'm trying to recover my son's ip pin

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

If you can't find your son's IP PIN, you can use the IRS  IP PIN request portal at IRS.gov or call (800) 908-4490 to get help getting your IP PIN reissued.  

It is important that you do not file your return without your IP PIN because the IRS will reject the return if it does not match the IRS file.  

To DoninGA

Your reply is not helpful. This link only allows the Individual to login or create an ID.me account to obtain his/her own IP PIN. NOT A DEPENDENT!!!!

Regardless of what the cut/paste from the IRS website states. The link only allows an INDIVIDUAL to obtain a IP PIN. The link does in no way take you to the dependent IP PIN retrieval page.  

I know you think you are helping by repeating the same lines, but you are not.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you have never been issued an IP PIN but want to get one, please note:

• You must pass an identity verification process.
  • Spouses and dependents are eligible for an IP PIN if they can pass the identity verification process.

Alternatives to using the online tool to have an IP PIN issued can be found by clicking this link.   The IRS will issue IP PINs automatically in the case of tax-related identity theft.

If you need to retrieve an already issued IP PIN for a dependent that can't pass the verification and doesn't have an account, call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have the IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days).   @jrl1644 

There is a IP pin on my 17 year old grandso, how do I get it. 

He dont have a ID number like drivers license or anything.  What do I do

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you saying that the IRS has issued an IP PIN for your dependent?  If so, you will have to include the IP PIN to be able to electronically file your tax return.

If you know you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can:

• Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days).

If you are saying that the IRS has not issued an IP Pin for your dependent and you want the dependent to get one:

• The dependent must pass an identity verification process.
  • Spouses and dependents are eligible for an IP PIN if they can pass the identity verification process.

Alternatives to using the online tool to have an IP PIN issued can be found by clicking this link.   The IRS will issue IP PINs automatically in the case of tax-related identity theft.

@Xander18 

@Xander18 

I have a similar situation. I have two foster children who have been with me for 11 months of 2022. They are relatives, and someone along their journey to us, had a IP PIN placed on them. Who placed it? we don't know. 

What I did was called the IRS appointment line to schedule an appointment at a local IRS tax assistance office. They were reluctant to schedule the appointment but ultimately did. I go in next week. If you would like, I can update you on the progress.  Good Luck!

I called and they said it was never mailed out for him . And he dont have any form of ID to get it. So why wonder they give it to me over the phone after they I gave them all the information?  Or will they give it to him if they talk with him and he gives them all his information  what do I do

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies