Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I import my crypto csv file into Turbo Tax Home & Business

@linds4 They even claim that TurboTax Premier offers the same thing, but those customers can't get it to work either. Coinbase changed its headers so that people have to pay a third party and get the correct headers, and TurboTax is referring us all back to 2019 data that's now irrelevant. It's pretty messed up.

@MarilynG1 None of your solutions work. Is the only solution to pay for the online version of TurboTax Premier? The free version also claims to work with Coinbase csv files, but I get the exact same message as everyone else here. It's ridiculous. Is there an actual way to fix this, or is it a company error that still (as of today, despite weeks of people bringing this up) has yet to be addressed? Are we just expected to cough up money for what costs TurboTax a couple days of paying some underpaid programmer to fix?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below regarding CSV files from Coinbase:

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

@Cass0317  This is NOT a helpful answer. I see the page has been updated with the issue we're asking about, but this "help" page is simply directing users to a third party that costs a ridiculous amount of money. Has the online tool been updated to reflect this change? Why not just have a programmer spend a day or two coding the CSV reader to account for the changes?

Is there a solution for uploading prior year crypto transactions via CSV?

I need to amend my prior year taxes but the option to upload files has been removed. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

TurboTax did allow .csv file upload when completing the 2019 tax return in 2020. If you have difficulty, you don't have to enter each transaction.  You can summarize them, separate transactions by holding period -long term from short term. Then you can enter them yourself as two summarized sales.

• Long term is a holding period of more than one year and receives capital gain tax treatment (0%, 10%, 15%, 20% depending on your regular rate of tax)
  • Short term is a holding period of one year or less and receives ordinary gain tax treatment (your regular rate)

Columns should be similar to Form 8949 (grouped together by holding period): 

• Description
  • Date Acquired
  • Date Sold
  • Proceeds
  • Cost
  • Gain/Loss

These worksheet can be filed after your tax return is accepted (your .csv file).  

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to: 

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 

Receipt and Control Branch 

Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you need a blank Form 8453, you can download this pdf, enter your address information and check the box for Form 8949 (this form is really just a cover sheet).

The only file format that TurboTax will import is .TXF, but you don't have to import all the transactions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So just to clarify I can not longer upload transactions to my amended 2019 tax return?

I need to summarize the transactions and attach all the transactions when mailing Form 8949 with my amended return?

@DianeW777 

I cannot find where the upload option from Cryptocurrency Tax is in either TurboTax Premier or Self-employed.  Where do I find it?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are using Coinbase please see this TurboTax FAQHow do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

@jbmikolajczak

solstones

where can I upload my csv file for crypto trades. I do not see an option.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Which TurboTax program are you using and who issued the CSV file? 

https://tokentax.co/guides/how-to-report-your-crypto-taxes-with-turbotax/

The link above might help you if you are not using a connected service, such as Bitcoin. 

Here is the help article from CoinTracker on how to file with TurboTax.  You have to select which product you are using:  TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download.  The import files for the two products are different:    https://help.cointracker.io/en/articles/265[product key removed]racker-to-file-with-turbotax

coopalph5

How do I upload my crypto sales from a turbo tax comparable zip file?

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

You cannot upload from a zip file. If you are using TurboTax online you must have a CSV file to upload and if you are using TurboTax Desktop/Download, then you must have a TXF file. 

billrhp2

you cant do it online or if you downoad the software for ammending 2019. This is absolutely an unnacceptable error on there part and I 100 percent will never use them again if they dont fix this asap. I've spent months trying to get my crypto taxes correct. They literally dont give you the techinical capability to do this any way other than manually if ammending your return. The support people couldnt even understand this. Furhtermore if you tried to enter them and realized you did it wrong, you cant undo previous imports you have to manually uncheck each of the old transactions. I have properluy accounted for .csv I have completed ammended 8949 turbotax refuses to help and trys to upsell software and it turns out this feature is not in the software They Are actually blocking me from properly ammending my cryotocurrency taxes through technical ignorance. ANd they have the nerve to upsell a bridge to nowhere. Fuu4ing unbelievable

I downloaded the CVS file from Coinbase.

Opened (free) EasyTXF.com

EasyTXF.com has instructions how to arrange the required "6" columns in the CVS file.

i.e.    Symbol    Quantity      Opening Date    Opening Net Amount     Closing DateClosing    Closing Net  Amount              

BTC        100                 10/01/2018           $21895.50                         11/15/2021                    30125.25

Thus, one deletes unnecessary columns in the Coinbase CVS.

Choose CVS file to upload on EasyTXF.....Click Convert to TXF......result is downloaded to your 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies