turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I use TurboTax on an offline PC

That is totally incorrect.  I installed from CD and applied the update, downloaded with Linux, to turbo tax.  But it won't run with out connecting to the internet.   Please read and try to understand before replying with nonappropriate incorrect information.

@nett47t66l22 I am not sure who you are replying to, but if you read the entire thread, it was mentioned by several users that you can not activate the software without the Internet.  Yeah, there were a few lame posts embedded, but the bottom line, no activation without connecting your PC to the Internet.

My software is already updated. I have filed already. I need to open the program to look up something but I can’t because there is no internet service.  It will not go past the update process, TurboTax installed from the CD will NOT START.  Never had this problem in prior years I could bypass the update.

@ Corral703 wrote:

My software is already updated. I have filed already. I need to open the program to look up something but I can’t because there is no internet service.  It will not go past the update process, TurboTax installed from the CD will NOT START.  Never had this problem in prior years I could bypass the update.

Are you using the Mac version or Windows version?  I don't have a Mac, so I can't comment much on it, but I think it checks for an update each time it's launched, but I believe it should still open TurboTax even if one is offline.  If you're using a Mac, I'll try to get someone to help you.

I am familiar with the Windows product.   I'll tell you how things work normally in the Windows version when TurboTax is launched, and if you are experiencing something different from what I mention below, then you'll need to explain more about what/where your roadblock is.  We can tell you how to phone TurboTax Support, if needed.

And when you eventually get back into your program, in the Windows version one can set updater preferences, and there are 3 choices:

1. Automatically download updates, but let me choose when to install them.
  2. Ask me before getting updates.
  3. I do not have an Internet connection. I want to get updates on my own.

When you launch the program, if the setting is Option 2, it asks you if you want to check for any updates and has a button where one can decline.

If your current setting is Option 1, then TurboTax will try to automatically connect to the Internet at each launch.   If you are not connected, you can still get around it by using the Cancel button.   The Cancel button only cancels the update process--it does not prevent the program launch.   It allows the program to go ahead and open (see image below).  Once the program is open, you can set your Updater Preferences.  To do that, at the main opening screen, click at the top on the ONLINE menu and in the dropdown choose Updater Preferences.

See this image:

updater.png

jjdawdy21
Returning Member

I have the same need that Coral703 has. I use a laptop that may not have internet connectivity depending on where I am. And I just may not want to be connected to the internet.

That said the software appears to be broken if you have not updated your software after Apr 15(possibly later). It gets stuck in a never-ending update attempt loop(i.e if you select "cancel" it tries to update anyway OR exists. It will not move forward to the point where you cant update your preferences.

I was finally able to connect to the internet and get updates. I then manually disconnected and tried again starting TuboTax again. The software was able to progress after selecting "cancel" and was able to update preferences.

There is a manual update but I have not tried it. Of course you will need at least some computer with internet connectivity to get it.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke...

I agree, so many “answers” not addressing the ?  But I found a fix! I allowed TTax to update even tho I wasn’t online. After a while it said it had (impossible, obviously) and then let me in. How stupid is that?

The ? was not about activation (which is why she was so frustrated). She has done all that, just wants to plug away at her return when offline.  The **bleep** pgm appears to refuse entry (NOT activation) unless online to get updates.  I solved it by “allowing” updates, which the pgm then said it had completed (of course not, I was away and offline), then it let me in. 

Lie. Seriously.  Tell the program to go ahead and update.  After a while it will let you in, even tho you’re offline.  How’s that for stupid?!

The original question was not about updating, it was about activation.  You can wait all you want, but the software will not update without an internet connection.

it wont work for me offline -- constantly wants to check for updates and no way to start without updating the software. It is also hanging frequently.  Really tired of all the forced internet activity - doubt I will use TurboTax in the future.

If you do not want to update the software then maybe should not be trying to use it so early in the tax season when frequent updates are the norm.   There are a LOT of IRS and state forms that are not ready yet, and the software will need frequent updates as they become ready.   Maybe you should wait a few months and update then and  prepare your return in April.   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If on a MAC, not sure what they are allowing this year.

But on a Windows system, after it's been registered, and then on any later startup (and perhaps updating )  you can go to the top menu and

......find the "Updater Preferences".

..............and you can select the "Ask me...", or even the  "I do not have an internet connection"  (even if you do).

For the "I do not have...."  selection, you can then force an update at any time you want in the same menu dropdown area by selecting "Check for Updates"

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies