How can I file my taxes if I worked in multiple st...

atrahan95

How can I file my taxes if I worked in multiple states and therefore have to file multiple states taxes/w-2’s. How do i also file multiple w-2’s?

DeanM15

You can file with multiple states in TurboTax. 

Start with the Federal return and enter all the W2s including the Lines 15 through 17 for all the states. If you just worked in the other states you will pay taxes in those states and get a credit for taxes paid in your home state. You should do the non-residential states first and your residential state last. This is to ensure you get the credits derived from the non-residential states to flow properly.

Check to see if any of the states have reciprocity with your home state.  If you do have states with reciprocity check to see if that state withheld on your W2. If the state withheld and they do have reciprocity with your home state you will need to file a return to reclaim the amount withheld. If they did not withhold then you are good to go. 

[Edited 03/14/2020 08:37 PDT]

SteamTrain

Well...that an get a bit expensive...but

A)) For states with an income tax

1) Online software can only do 5 states....and can e-file the 5 states too.

2)  Desktop/Download software can do many sates, but only e-file 3. any more than 3 have to be printed and mailed in

B)) Other

1) You enter just one W-2 for each employer, but you must put in a separate W-2 for each different employer.   TTX can take as many as you reasonably have  (Maybe a 10 or 20 limit....I've never pushed it, so I don't know the real limit).

2)  IF you worked for one employer in multiple states, you just have that one W-2 to enter, but for boxes 15-to-17, you will enter separate line for each state you worked in.  The employer's W-2 should list the income for each state you worked in.

3)  Depending on your home/resident state....what extra Non-Resident states software you need to buy may depend on what your state, and the other states actual are. 

...........a)  Some states don't have an income tax, so no tax return would be required for that "other " state, but it would still be taxed by your home state (if your home state has an income tax). 

..............b)  some states could have a reciprocal tax agreement with your state, and you don't need a tax return for that other state (with some exceptions).   

.................c)  Most other states you would have to file as a non-resident for income earned in that state.

4)  You must prepare ALL of the Federal section first, every scrap.  Then all the non-resident sates, then your home/resident state last.  (with some preparation order exceptions if your home & work state is between CA,AZ,OR, IN  & sometimes VA)

___________________________

IF you actually moved your permanent state residence during the year...and more that two states are involved...then it gets messier.

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
moth88

Got to purchase 2 separate state programs & then process. Quite expensive. Try FreeTaxUSA

ckambol

Have 6 W-2s for same company multiple sites.  3 had state income tax withheld in WI (box 17) and 3 in IL.  There is reciprocity between the two states however when I do my taxes I end up owing the state of WI  Did I do something wrong?

SteamTrain

@ckambol 

Depends on which state is your resident state...you would have to file a non-resident tax return on the "other" state and claim zero income earned there (because of the reciprocal tax agreement) to get the "other" state's  tax withholding refunded. 

Thus, if you were a resident of WI, you could easily owe WI...because there "should have" been WI tax withholding...and WI expects you to get the IL withholding back from IL yourself......no credit for taxes paid to IL because that is not allowed in your situation.

(or the other way around if you are an IL resident and worked in WI ) 

______________________

AND...check those W-2 forms carefully, are they entirely separate W-2 forms where box 1 (3&5) reports just the $$ received at that location, or are they just multiple state sub-forms for boxes 15,16,17.

IF entirely separate W-2 forms, then each is entered separately in the software  (kind of sounds like this...but seems suspicious).  I just had trouble imagining a single company would issue 6 completely separate W-2 forms...but I guess it could happen if they were actually something like...ohh... separate Franchisees.

......or, if one W-2 shows the grand total income for the year in box 1 (3&5) for all of them together, then the software expects one W-2, with multiple lines for boxes 15,16,17

JotikaT2

In addition to what SteamTrain mentioned above, typically, when there is a state reciprocity agreement in effect, the state you are working in does not require withholdings in the nonresident state. 

You would need to have an exemption form completed with your employer to ensure you are only having taxes withheld on your resident state.  See the link below for more information on the forms as it will depend upon which state is your resident state.

State reciprocity agreement exemption forms link