Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

robbin
Returning Member

How can I do more than 5 e-file federal

Really, violation of what law. turbo tax law? IRS law?

@robbin TurboTax does not limit users of the do-it -yourself tax software to five federal e-files.  That limit is an IRS limit.

From IRS PUB 1345 —- limit of 5 e-files

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1345.pdf

This appears on page 36 

Additional Requirements for Participants in Online Filing

In addition to the above, participants in Online Filing must adhere to the following: 

1. Ensure that no more than five electronic returns are filed from one software package or one e-mail address. 2. Supply a taxpayer with a correct Submission ID. 

If you have the credentials to prepare tax returns as a paid tax preparer, purchase professional tax software and e-file more than five federal e-files with the software that allows it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@robbin wrote:

Really, violation of what law. turbo tax law? IRS law?

It is not a Law.  It is a requirement from the IRS.

IRS Publication - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1345.pdf#page=40

. Ensure that its software, if available for use on an Internet, can’t be used to file more than
five electronic returns from one e-mail address

@robbin - there is nothing that prevents you from paper filing the rest.  it just can't be efiled.  

Do you need to have 3 computers to install your 3 software?  When registering each of your software, do you need to have three different names associated with each one of your 3 software?  Did some research online regarding this issue and found out that you cannot install the same version of TurboTax on the same computer.  how did you do it?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@LINGDOLING 

No, you can't install it on the same computer. It will recognize that you already have it installed and ask you to uninstall the current version to reinstall it. 

With the CD/Download you can prepare 5 returns on the same computer. Each time you begin a new return, you will enter that new person's information.  You will not register it 3 times on the same computer, you register once when you install it, then begin to prepare the returns. 

Can I install TurboTax on more than one computer?

How many returns can I e-file in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jnettecol

How can I file taxes for 5 other clients under my account.

@Jnettecol What CLIENTS?    Using TurboTax to prepare returns for paying clients is a violation of the terms of service.  You cannot get around the five federal e-file limit which is an IRS limit.  If you have the credentials to prepare returns for paying clients you need to be using the professional tax software.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/?s_cid=TT.com_MoreProds-Footer_ProTaxSoftware

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies