Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HomeOffice used 1/2yr so 1/2mort. int. used in self income. In mort int ded section record appear so create 2nd record

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

HomeOffice used 1/2yr so 1/2mort. int. used in self income. In mort int ded section record appear so create 2nd record

You only need to enter your mortgage interest in the 1098 section.  TurboTax will automatically bring the mortgage interest from the 1098 section into the home office section and allocate the amount that should be used for the home office to your schedule C and leave the rest on your schedule A.  

Did you enter it in both locations or do you just see it in both locations?  If you are NOT itemizing then this will not affect anything.  If you are itemizing, entering it twice could cause a duplicate mortgage interest deduction. If you are itemizing your return, then you will need to go back through the Home Office section to delete your mortgage interest entries so it is not duplicated. 

If you just see it in both locations and only entered it in the home office area, then you are just seeing it on the summary screen and it will not affect your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.  Since I only used the office for 50% of the year I entered the full mortgage interest in the 1098 section and 50% of the mortgage interest, etc as a separate entry in the in the home office section (as the tool instructed me to do).  When I do this it duplicates the 50% entry in the 1098 section thus giving me a deduction total 50% higher than it should be.   

Hello !!!  Don't enter 150% of the amount in the program ... only enter 50% in each place if you will not let the program do the math for you.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies