turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tlars1947

Hiding first five digits of SSN

Is it possible to hide the first five digits on a SSN when completing a 1099 NEC? I realize that the copy that is efiled needs the complete SSN, but what about the other copies?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You could probably black them out or cover it (like with a post it note) and make a copy to give to the person.  But don't you have a EIN to use instead?  What kind of business entity do you have?  

tlars1947

It's a construction business, we have subs that work for us and they report their income on Sch C, using their SSN for the business. Some of them are worried about identity theft and I wanted to format it xxx-xx on their copy and our copy.

Probably just follow your suggestion about blacking it out.

Thanks for your help.

1)  all of your contractors should apply for a free EIN for their Sch C businesses so they don't need to use the SS# ... suggest doing so now and give you the EIN before you need it next month (W-9 form optional but a good idea... https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-w-9 )  

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/how-to-apply-for-an-ein

2) watch for the option to mask part of the reciever's SS# in the Quick Employer's forms tool ... I don't remember if they have that option.  Of course you can always hand them the forms so they don't have to go thru the mail OR  see step 1. 

tlars1947

Thank you for the heads up about the EIN application for Sch C filers, great idea I wasn't aware of.

I'll also look at the forms tool option.

I appreciate your help, thank you.

Checked the QEF tool ... no masking option found yet.  So either black it out yourself,  hand them the forms manually or encourage them to get an EIN (doing business without it is really foolish ... they are free, instant and forever).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies