turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is turbo tax charging me a fee for "self employed" since neither my spouse nor I were self employed in 1026

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MorganQ

Why is turbo tax charging me a fee for "self employed" since neither my spouse nor I were self employed in 1026

Hi there,

If you or your spouse received a 1099-MISC and the income is in Box 7, then the IRS considers you self-employed whether you have a formal business or not. TurboTax will help you enter this income and walk you through any work-related expenses you can claim. 

There are other reasons you may have received a 1099-MISC that are not related to self-employed income. Here's how to enter that income: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3629496-i-received-a-1099-misc-that-is-not-self-employment-how-do-...

Sometimes a 1099-MISC form that is not self-employed income can get entered as self-employed by mistake. If this is the case, go to the Wages & Income tab at the top of the screen. From there you will see a list of your income, including any 1099-MISC forms you entered. Select Edit to either make changes or delete this income and start over. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
      MorganQ

Hi there,

If you or your spouse received a 1099-MISC and the income is in Box 7, then the IRS considers you self-employed whether you have a formal business or not. TurboTax will help you enter this income and walk you through any work-related expenses you can claim. 

There are other reasons you may have received a 1099-MISC that are not related to self-employed income. Here's how to enter that income: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3629496-i-received-a-1099-misc-that-is-not-self-employment-how-do-...

Sometimes a 1099-MISC form that is not self-employed income can get entered as self-employed by mistake. If this is the case, go to the Wages & Income tab at the top of the screen. From there you will see a list of your income, including any 1099-MISC forms you entered. Select Edit to either make changes or delete this income and start over. 
          message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
          Manage cookies