Solved: Hi there, If you or your spouse received a 1099-MI...

Why is turbo tax charging me a fee for "self employed" since neither my spouse nor I were self employed in 1026

Hi there,

If you or your spouse received a 1099-MISC and the income is in Box 7, then the IRS considers you self-employed whether you have a formal business or not. TurboTax will help you enter this income and walk you through any work-related expenses you can claim. 

There are other reasons you may have received a 1099-MISC that are not related to self-employed income. Here's how to enter that income: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3629496-i-received-a-1099-misc-that-is-not-self-employment-how-do-...

Sometimes a 1099-MISC form that is not self-employed income can get entered as self-employed by mistake. If this is the case, go to the Wages & Income tab at the top of the screen. From there you will see a list of your income, including any 1099-MISC forms you entered. Select Edit to either make changes or delete this income and start over. 

Hi there,