Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

apl4444

Supposedly, TurboTax included the failure to pay proper estimated tax penalty in my 2018 calculations. . How do I find out if i already paid it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

Supposedly, TurboTax included the failure to pay proper estimated tax penalty in my 2018 calculations. . How do I find out if i already paid it?

If you have filed your return and paid your tax due, then the underpayment penalty was included. You can see the penalty amount on Line 23 of your Form 1040. It's last line on page 2.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Ashby

If you have filed your return and paid your tax due, then the underpayment penalty was included. You can see the penalty amount on Line 23 of your Form 1040. It's last line on page 2.

Thank you so much for answering so promptly. Your answer pointed me exactly where to look for the information. Unfortunately, it seems that there was some kind of glitch in the calculation because the space on line 23 is blank. TurboTax did not calculate the penalty and, therefore, it was not included in the final amount that i paid.
Ashby

Do you know for sure you had a penalty? You have no penalty this year if you paid at least 100% of last year's tax liability, 80% of this year's liability, OR you owe less than $1,000 total.
apl4444

Hi, Ashby. Thanks again for answering. TurboTax probably miscalculated it because I did not pay any of estimated taxes in 2018. I only paid them now in 2019. And, I owed more than U$1,000 for 2018.
lshufro

I just got a notice for failure to pay estimated taxes.  Is this a known glitch with turbo tax?
jim-doscher
Returning Member

I also got the notice, line 23 was blank....

The amount Turbo Tax calculates on your return or not is only an estimate.
Turbo Tax can not figure it accurately because they don't know exactly when the IRS or state will get your return and tax due payment.  It's very common and normal and expected for the IRS or state to bill you for more or send you a refund.

Similar issue: Line 22 shows $4059, Line 23 shows $11. Vouch was for $4059 so penalty not on voucher.

The 4059 INCLUDES the $11.  If you do the math, subtract line 18 from line 11 and line 22 will be $11 too much.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies