Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

the95z

Hello. My last paystub on 12 20 17 shows a greater number than box 1 on my w2 form? W2 messed up?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello. My last paystub on 12 20 17 shows a greater number than box 1 on my w2 form? W2 messed up?

Your pay stub and W-2 rarely match.  Your W-2 is what gets reported to the IRS.  Enter it exactly as it appears.  Ask you employer to explain the differences to you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Your pay stub and W-2 rarely match.  Your W-2 is what gets reported to the IRS.  Enter it exactly as it appears.  Ask you employer to explain the differences to you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
the95z

Let us say my box 1 is 30k. my last paystub states 32k because of a taxed bonus and sick pay on that last check. box 3 and 5 show the 32k. i also have 401k contribuitions..which let us say are 1400. those are in box 12d. so with thay info..shouldnt my last TAXED bonus and sick pay also be reported?
the95z

box is literally WAGES TIPS SALARIES AND BONUSES..
the95z

box 1*

Is there an amount in box 10 to 12 that accounts for the difference?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
the95z

the amount in box 12 D is the difference.but that is also my total 401k contribuitions for the year on my final paystub. the bonus and sick pay were seperate from that I am sure? and those were taxed I know for sure.

Your 401(k) contributions are before tax so they are not included in box 1 and you do not pay tax on them.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
the95z

Exactly. they are not included on my final paystub on the final total of 32k. so I am wondering why my box 1 does not show 32k!??thats on my final paystub as total salary plus bonus which was taxed.

If box 1 plus the box 12 amount equal the box 3 & 5, then that would be correct. The box 12 amount is not supposed to be in box 1.
the95z

the 401k contribuition is on my paystub to show how much i did put towards my 401k for the year . but that in no way is calculated into my final for the total 32k for salaries and bonuses that were taxed. and that 401k contribuition amount is correctly entered into box 12d

Sorry - I fail to see the problem.  401(k) contributions are not in box 1.

You said above that box 3 agrees with your pay stub.   And box 12 plus box 1 equal box 3, so box 1 plus box 12 would also equal the pay stub.

If you think it is wrong then ask your employer for an explanation.   I can't see your pay stub or your W-2.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies