turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

goyi47

How should I file my husband taxes, since he died 6/30/2017 and he used to file single separate and I file single.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How should I file my husband taxes, since he died 6/30/2017 and he used to file single separate and I file single.

So sorry for your loss.  For the tax year in which your spouse died, you are allowed to file a married filing jointly return.  You need to indicate on it that your spouse passed away in Personal Info.  By filing a joint return, you would get the personal exemptions for each of you and the married filing jointly standard deduction of $12,700.  all of your itemized deductions  (if any) would then go on that joint return.

In Personal Info  the question of whether your spouse passed away will come up on the screen that says "Do Any of These Apply to [name]? "  

Note:  You must have meant you were filing married filing separately in the past, I hope, since if you were married you could not file as single.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

So sorry for your loss.  For the tax year in which your spouse died, you are allowed to file a married filing jointly return.  You need to indicate on it that your spouse passed away in Personal Info.  By filing a joint return, you would get the personal exemptions for each of you and the married filing jointly standard deduction of $12,700.  all of your itemized deductions  (if any) would then go on that joint return.

In Personal Info  the question of whether your spouse passed away will come up on the screen that says "Do Any of These Apply to [name]? "  

Note:  You must have meant you were filing married filing separately in the past, I hope, since if you were married you could not file as single.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Do you have any dependent children?

"he used to file single separate and I file single."
That is not allowed unless you were legally separated all those years.

Do you mean he filed as Married Filing Separately (and you did too)?  You can not file Single if you were married even if you were separated.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies