Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Having to upgrade to deluxe because of schedule 3 nonrefundable credits? Not sure what that means. Can someone explain please?

@rjs  I reckon I assumed that these companies providing free tax services were being remunerated via government contract, after all, they've done so for several years now and I can't imagine any service staying in business by giving away their services for years.  Since it is a govt requirement that we file our taxes yearly... I can't see why avoiding a surcharge is equivalent to being provided a free meal... it's more akin to being provided a free ride to jail... and last I checked... inmates aren't charged for that trip.  So that's an analogy fail.  Regardless, $120 for what amounts to providing an online 1040ez form is the definition of price gouging.  

Having to upgrade to deluxe because of schedule 3 nonrefundable credits? Not sure what that means. Can someone explain please?

I have always liked the way TurboTax has been setup. It is so easy to follow and I was introduced to doing my own taxes 8 years ago. I've used TurboTax ever since but now that some tax situations are not covered under the free edition I will no longer be able to use them. I understand it is a change they had to make so I am only writing this because I am just disappointed that I had to use another service. I tried Credit Karma tax first but I did not like the way it was presented so instead I went to H&R Block free edition and completed filing with them. RIP TurboTax Free.
hoppet22

I did it this time simply because I didn't want to spend more time to file my taxes on another site. I have to do research and get recommendations so I'm not just going to chose somewhere else I feel iffy about right off the bat. I already had everything done and I want mine back before the govt feels the need to shut down again. Anyways the fee for the option to take it out of the refund instead of out of pocket right away is highway robbery!!!! I want my 40 dollars back! I have to work 4 hours for that!!!!! And you guys are just gonna be like well well offer to take it out of your refund but its gonna cost 40 extra bucks after I already am going to pay 80 for you to file anyways. Over one simple tax credit. I'm so done with society and their bullshit ways. Taxes are robbery anyways!!!! I'm definitely not using turbo tax again and it seems like y'all are losing a bunch of customers over this. So turbo tax you guys might think about refunding people the 40 dollars you're stealing or just become less profitable and obsolete in the end. Go ahead keep doing this to people they're gonna drop you like trash here real quick. I know I am.
spudly2

I didn't choose any credits and still got the message
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@spudly2  You might have gotten the retirement savings contributions credit ("Saver's Credit") automatically if you entered an IRA contribution or if there is a 401(k) contribution on your W-2 (code D in box 12).
saisei84

ha, if turbotax was trying to make money, they could charge a better fee than that. $100+ for an extra basic schedule? Like come on. I ALMOST paid the $60 to the upgrade they were requiring to file, until I saw the extra costs. So glad I didn't. TurboTax could have actually had my money but they won't now cause they didn't think this through at all. Big oversight on their part. And you gotta be up front about what you are offering, many ppl who filed exactly similar taxes last year are now being required to pay just because the forms are a bit different this year. Doesn't compute.
rwray922

this is the last year I use turbotax, as far as I'm concerned it is outright fraud, since most people will have to use these 6 schedules just say there will be no more free editions
c-sare

USE CREDIT KARMA TAX: IT’S COMPLETELY FREE. This year turbo tax free edition does not support Schedule 3... in other words if you are receiving nonrefundable credits as in the retirement savings credit from contributing to a retirement plan then you will have to pay for Deluxe which is now $59.99 PLUS $39.99 for state. Deluxe and up supports schedule 3. But totally not worth paying this when there are other options... so I would use a free service & get the same refund without paying! 

keimanu

OMG! That totally handled the kickup having to upgrade....evidently there is a program if you qualify to have free filing. GREAT Thanks so much!

@rjs 

The IRS would provide free filing themselves if they could but the fine detail you are choosing to omit is the millions of dollars spent lobbying congress to stop the IRS from doing so and instead allowing companies like Turbo Tax force to push their own "Free" services . Most people have extremely simple taxes that could easily be done by the IRS without any issues but companies like the one you are defending FORCE themselves into the exchange by bribing lawmakers.  Your analogy would work better if the company giving out the free food had already paid someone else to steal your homemade snacks leading you to hungrily seek out the sample and possibly more. Get some perspective bootlicker.

kymbeth

Oh my god, thank you so much. Turbotaxx wanted to charge me $80 for a $55 credit I couldn't opt out of.

Credit Karma won't cover me this year because I worked in more than 1 state...watch out for that "gotcha"!

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

It appears you are receiving some credits that are calculated on schedule 3 of your return.  TurboTax Free edition is not able to handle those situations with the extra schedules as it for only the most simple returns.  TurboTax Deluxe however will handle them.  Here is a link with some discussion on the subject.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Stephanie1
Returning Member

@VolvoGirl you are the best! The IRS-TurboTax link you gave worked for me and I didn't have to pay to upgrade as I qualified. Thank you so much. You're the real MVP! 🤜🤛

mnb76

My refund was reduced by $152 because one of the codes on my deductions is a "G" and when Turbo Tax asked if I worked for a government agency I didn't want to lie.  So no you probably didn't do anything wrong or transpose a number, Turbo Tax just isn't including all the schedules for your refund.  I checked another website and they didn't ask me anything about who I work for,  I will be filing elsewhere from now on.  Also I noticed that the "Free File" does not include the Schedule 3 credits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies